Show us your blue guitars!

It's a good thing this is a thumbnail and I can't read it. I have a feeling I wouldn't like it very much

You would. I would have blown it up, but it got grainy. It's you replacing the guy who says "I still say they stink!" on the album cover.

That does it! When I get around to making it to MD for a factory tour, or an Experience, I'll be the guy in the KISS shirt \m/

You know, Shawn's got a Christmas coming up...KISS shirts make a nice gift...

Or we could go for PS builds at the same time and both wear KISS shirts...

Either one is a great idea! Maybe a KISS yoga mat?

d34ae3aa41d5871e41ceb92f7699819a.jpg

This was a precursor to Brent's run of five. Kind of a trail of the appeal of the Bahamian Blue. I dubbed it Bahama Mama. It generated enough interest that the run of five was done.

Mahogany back, maple neck, African Blackwood board.
Cool history - so you were the inspiration behind two Bahama Mama and one tree of life runs? Wow. No wonder Brent retired (semi retired?)

My 2 year employee guitar. Custom 22 with rosewood neck, now with 57/08 pickups
View attachment 5445

That's sweet. I started at my current employer about the same time you did at PRS. On my two year anniversary I got more work to do But that's ok, it allowed the current me to buy too many PRS guitars these past few years...

Here's my slightly faded Royal Blue Custom 24.
What you call slightly Sir!
What year is it? Should be before '91, I'd say.
The Royal Blue nowadays is most likely to have a blue back too. How's yours?
Guess, I'll have to add a pic too, but before I better check, my whale blue is not as faded as your Royal Blue :)
Pics to come ...

What you call slightly Sir!
What year is it? Should be before '91, I'd say.
The Royal Blue nowadays is most likely to have a blue back too. How's yours?
Guess, I'll have to add a pic too, but before I better check, my whale blue is not as faded as your Royal Blue :)
Pics to come ...

Slightly might not have been the most accurate description. It's an 86 with a brownish finish on the back.

OK, I suppose this is a hard one. lol. *I* see my Stripped 58 (2011) as a really dark blue with a secondary green component (retired art teacher here). When I was buying it online, the seller was also quite confused as to the color. Heck, in his photos it almost looked more of a trans-grey with an odd blue color cast to it (and yeah, sometimes a bit more green than here in my shots). Sorry to go on and on here, but yeah, I see it as blue (like the deep dark sea), but I'm almost wondering if it's a faded specimen of a more obvious, somewhat brighter color. Whatever it is, I really like it, and I've not seen another like it either.

Question: Can anyone here identify the color? TIA.

(UPDATE: Via the MODCAT Decoder, it turns out this color is called Black Slate.)

ObMR1qsh.jpg

9e3uRa0h.jpg

cFLfRWqh.jpg

NOTE to anyone who is using Imgur and wondering as to why their photos are appearing so large...
I just got the same thing at first here, but then I went back and edited them down to a smaller version by selecting Huge Thumbnail (rather than the default Original size) down in the lower right corner (of Imgur).
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
OK, I suppose this is a hard one. lol. *I* see my Stripped 58 (2011) as a really dark blue with a secondary green component (retired art teacher here). When I was buying it online, the seller was also quite confused as to the color. Heck, in his photos it almost looked more of a trans-grey with an odd blue color cast to it (and yeah, sometimes a bit more green than here in my shots). Sorry to go on and on here, but yeah, I see it as blue (like the deep dark sea), but I'm almost wondering if it's a faded specimen of a more obvious, somewhat brighter color. Whatever it is, I really like it, and I've not seen another like it either.

Question: Can anyone here identify the color? TIA.

ObMR1qs.jpg

9e3uRa0.jpg

cFLfRWq.jpg
Possibly faded Teal Black :confused:

Faded Teal Black... yeah, that certainly describes it. Thanks.
Was that an actual "catalog" color for 2011?

Faded Teal Black... yeah, that certainly describes it. Thanks.
Was that an actual "catalog" color for 2011?
Well, I just looked at the pictures on my phone and indeed it looks Black teal, somehow on my laptop the pictures were paler, anyhow
as for your question, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in soon.
Great guitar BTW

I think yours is black slate. Here's one of mine in that color:

prs11.png

Oooo... that is gorgeous! Thanks for posting the photo, Herr Quid. It looks so close to mine.

OK, so so far we have Black Slate and Teal Black being suggested. That being said, Black Slate implies (to me) more of a neutral trans-black grey, whereas Black Teal more implies the teal-ish color cast of both guitars. Mine sure has a teal component.

So anyway, I guess I'd still want to know if either of the colors suggested (or any others that might come along) were official PRS "Catalog" colors during that given time period.

Yup. Just me bein' a bit OCD here, but hey, talking about this stuff is fun. IMO. Any other suggestions? :)

Back