Should They Stay Or Should They Go...

Problem there is that the soapbars would probably shine most on the amp you’re after!:D
Since posting the above, I did a test sale on Reverb of a pedal I wasn't using; I wanted to see how the site works for sellers. I had once put a guitar up for sale a few years back, but immediately changed my mind and withdrew the listing. This time I figured I'd give it a shot.

The pedal sold Friday night, less than a day after listing it. The buyer paid right away. I shipped the pedal Saturday morning. It was very smooth. I even got the shipping label on Reverb. Pretty convenient! No muss, no fuss.

My plan was to post a guitar for sale next. And therein lies the problem. I still can't decide which one I can bear parting with. I'm stuck in the same conundrum.

Since posting the above, I did a test sale on Reverb of a pedal I wasn't using; I wanted to see how the site works for sellers. I had once put a guitar up for sale a few years back, but immediately changed my mind and withdrew the listing. This time I figured I'd give it a shot.

The pedal sold Friday night, less than a day after listing it. The buyer paid right away. I shipped the pedal Saturday morning. It was very smooth. I even got the shipping label on Reverb. Pretty convenient! No muss, no fuss.

My plan was to post a guitar for sale next. And therein lies the problem. I still can't decide which one I can bear parting with. I'm stuck in the same conundrum.
Sell the SG :p

I forget what you all have these days. I’m sure PS acoustic and the Hammer are keepers. The 594 soapbar I brought up because being your only(?) single coil guitar, do sound remarkable through the HC30 style amps.

I forget what you all have these days. I’m sure PS acoustic and the Hammer are keepers. The 594 soapbar I brought up because being your only(?) single coil guitar, do sound remarkable through the HC30 style amps.
For which I thank you for this reminder. My absolute favorite guitar with my Bad Cat back in 2003 was my McCarty Soapbar. It was a great match!

In fact, I went into my studio today to play the 594 Soapy just to make sure it still was something I'd need, and it is. I've also done this with every other guitar I own over the past week (I don't have very many guitars, so that wasn't hard).

I can't find one I wouldn't miss. I need an...attitude adjustment...

For which I thank you for this reminder. My absolute favorite guitar with my Bad Cat back in 2003 was my McCarty Soapbar. It was a great match!

In fact, I went into my studio today to play the 594 Soapy just to make sure it still was something I'd need, and it is. I've also done this with every other guitar I own over the past week (I don't have very many guitars, so that wasn't hard).

I can't find one I wouldn't miss. I need an...attitude adjustment...

My initial thought when you started this thread was to sell the Fillmore for some reason. I don’t know why really.

But yours is in the best condition.

And then everyone else will raise the prices on theirs, and then eventually someone will think yours is worth that, and make an offer.

Boom.
It's probably my nicest sounding guitar. Selling it might be tempting fate in some unforeseeable way.

My initial thought when you started this thread was to sell the Fillmore for some reason. I don’t know why really.
From time to time, I've thought about selling both Mesas and just hanging onto the PRS amps. On the other hand, the Mesas are good amps, so it's hard to get fired up about putting 'em up for sale.

So far, I've punted.

I've reached that age where after 45+ years of collecting and kids that don't play that I'm at that same crossroads.
After much thought , I decided I'd rather leave them beautiful guitars to remember me by than just money .. and they can get around the tax man....if they have to sell them down the road .. I won't have to watch it.

Today I decided, "It's wrong to hoard these guitars. But out of sheer generosity of spirit, I should give them to deserving young players instead of selling them!" So I loaded them into the back of my Jeep and headed downtown with the entire lot. I was determined to give joy to the world.

I set up a sign that said, "Open Audition. Get A Free Guitar If You Can Play It."

I opened the back of the car. Then I pulled the CU24 30th Anniversary PS case out, and opened up the case to show the guitar. The one person who came to look threw a couple of quarters into the case, thinking I was a street performer.

I gave her the quarters back.

I waited for 3 hours, and no one asked for a guitar tryout. Instead, I got comments like, "No one plays guitar any more, Boomer!"

One pretty young woman said, "Guitars, huh? What are they for?"

'They're kind of like bagpipes," I answered.

She said, "I don't know what those are for either." "They're similar to accordions, only different," I said. She gave me a puzzled look, and walked on. At the end of the day I couldn't give my guitars away, So I packed them up and took them all home.

I told my wife what I did, and she called the police.

"My husband has lost his mind, and went downtown to try to give his guitars away. I think he might have dementia and needs help. The guitars are worth a lot of money!"

The officer answering the phone said, "What's a guitar?"

"It's kind of like a nice antique," said my wife.

"Ah, yeah, we don't come out for antique stuff any more. Antiques are out, '80s modern is in. Haven't you seen a recent Pottery Barn catalog?"

My wife hung up. She looked at me, like, 'WTF'.

I smiled sheepishly. "Maybe I'm not so crazy after all," I remarked.

"Oh no, you're freaking nuts," she said, "but tell me something - what's a guitar again?"

Last edited:
I woke up this morning thinking I'd sell all of my guitars except one. Then I did nothing.

Afterward, I figured I'd sell all of my amps but one. Again I did nothing.

I didn't think I'd sell my pedals, though I care about them less than my guitars and amps. So I didn't even start thinking about selling any.

"What does that prove, Les?"

"Maybe nothing. Maybe that I'm sorely in need of a permanent vacation."

"Where to?"

"Where do they need orchestral film music composers?"

"Nowhere. There are too many already."

"Where do they need piano players?"

"Nowhere. There are too many already."

"Where are studio guitar players needed?"

"Nowhere. There are way too many."

"Where do they need entertainment lawyers?"

"Nowhere. There are not only too many already, they weren't even wanted in the first place. No one wants lawyers."

"What would you do if you were me?"

"I hear Macdonald's is looking to hire burger-flippers."

"Thanks a lot. So what should I do?"

"Hope for enlightenment."

"That's way too theoretical. After all, what is a state of enlightenment? Depends on one's definition."

"You might want to contact Buddha on your Ouija Board."

"OK, but I don't believe in metaphysics or religion."

"Perhaps that's your main problem."

"There is no doubt in my mind that you're my main problem!"

Back