Shipping Guitars?

If the guitar being shipped and it's case was in brand new condition, I typically add an extra layer of cardboard inside the box too. I guess I'd take some extra care then. I've only shipped one virtually new guitar though & that was overseas....that thing was bomb proof :D

It might be overkill, and it took a long time to undo it all, but this is the most packed I've ever received anything.
bubble wrap inside a card board sling surrounded by snow worms
CK_02BubleWrapInSling.JPG

after getting the bubble wrap out of the sling I came upon a heavy plastic bag protecting the case
CK_05BagInBubbleWrap.JPG

the inside of the case was stuffed with tissue - look closely and see that inside the stuffing the strings (which were loosened) were neatly wrapped and a little tissue cushion was placed under the pick guard.
CK_10GuitarInTissue.JPG

I don't see myself doing it all, but I have to admit I appreciated the effort of the sender.

IF you're going to slacken the strings you should also slacken the truss rod!

Some good tips in this thread guys - keep 'em coming.

A non-neck-related shipping rant...I have had two vintage or near-vintage instruments shipped to me over the past few months from a major retail chain with the trem bar floating around IN THE CASE.

SERIOUSLY.

The one that showed up yesterday (non-PRS) luckily had no signs of any sort of damage, in remarkable shape despite being poorly bubble-wrapped (although strings were slacked). This happened to me awhile back with a 92 CST24 - opened the case, and the whammy was sitting right there on top floating around, no padding. There were small, shallow uniform dings (at least 20) across the top of the guitar, which I was assured "were there before" but doubtful...

You can't fix stupid...so I guess a warning to all to make sure to speak to the operations folks who will be shipping your guitar to remove the trem bar, wrap it up separately, and encase it with the bubble wrap going between the case and the shipping box.

I wouldn't want the tissue paper wrapping around the body of the guitar, though putting some between the strings and the fingerboard is good.

Frankly, the way PRS ships them is fine.

I'm thinkin' that the neck is designed to offset string tension and to slacken the strings for any extended length of time would allow neck movement - perhaps to the point of buzzing frets until the balance is returned and the neck moves back. How long does it take a neck to move? How long would it take for it to return? These are questions I don't want to experiment with.

Absolutely, I ship my guitars to a guitar tech for setups/repairs he's a trained engineer and used to be production manager for a guitar manufacture here in the UK. He always ships the guitars back to me with the strings tuned to pitch, he says loosening the strings will negate the setup, in fact after he has setup a guitar he leaves it for 24-48 hrs to adjust any neck movement. He also says to change one string at a time to minimise neck movement. The case is wrapped in bubble wrap and empty space in the box filled to ensure the case does not move around.

Steve

Back