Sheared trem mounting screw repair

Johnny Rigs

"Hold on to your butts" - Samuel L Jackson
There's a ~2005 CE 22 I'm looking to get for a good price. The guitar shop is having it worked on, as one of the trem mounting screw heads has sheared off. The screw is being replaced, and he said the shop is removing the sheared one from the back cavity so as not to risk damaging the front finish.

Is there anything I need to worry about regarding this repair? Would this repair cause me trouble if somewhere down the line I needed to remove the bridge again?

Thank you~

I would be interested on how they intend to remove the screw?

As to remove it from the trem cavity, I would assume that they will need to excavate more material from the body to gain access to the threaded end and rotate the screw out of the back of the guitar. Then to ensure the area is stable, I would think that a wooden plug would need to be glued in the area where material has been removed. This shouldn’t cause any problems in the future if this is the repair they are considering.

If you’re concerned, ask them how they intend to repair the guitar.

If they are going in from the back (pardon me for that phrase) then it sounds like the trem screw has snapped very close to the body.

Good luck

I would be interested on how they intend to remove the screw?

As to remove it from the trem cavity, I would assume that they will need to excavate more material from the body to gain access to the threaded end and rotate the screw out of the back of the guitar. Then to ensure the area is stable, I would think that a wooden plug would need to be glued in the area where material has been removed. This shouldn’t cause any problems in the future if this is the repair they are considering.

If you’re concerned, ask them how they intend to repair the guitar.

If they are going in from the back (pardon me for that phrase) then it sounds like the trem screw has snapped very close to the body.

Good luck
Thanks~

I assumed they would have to drill out behind the screw. Since this would be my first USA model, I'm not familiar with how much material that is, how deep that would be. On an old Strat of mine, some bridge screws almost come through.

Since he's not local, I'll ask more specifically what he plans to do and for him to send a photo of the plugged hole.

The CE body is shallow enough that a portion of the trem screw will protrude into the trem cavity. Just a small amount, like the tip. They may be able to clamp some vise grips on it an turn it out.

8Dy0Pts.jpg

Ok, good. Hopefully they don't need to remove much, if any, wood. Thanks for the pic!

The CE body is shallow enough that a portion of the trem screw will protrude into the trem cavity. Just a small amount, like the tip. They may be able to clamp some vise grips on it an turn it out.

8Dy0Pts.jpg
Nice one Jim, good to have some close up photos.

John, it would probably be best to ask for some close up photos of the guitar you’re looking at. That way you will know any damage that exists at the moment. Then when the guitar arrives, you can inspect carefully and make sure you’re happy with the repair.

From the photo, it may be a slightly more straightforward repair than I first thought.

I've had this happen to me a couple of times, they generally shear where the knife edge of the vibrato sits (smallest diameter) and usually on installation. This means there should be enough left of the screw to clamp some vice-grips on (as Jim said). I just used some tape to protect the finish and was just careful when I locked on the clamps.

Should be a very easy fix...

8Dy0Pts.jpg

I was thinking the same thing. I wouldn't worry about this minor repair too much.

Ok, Thanks for the encouragement. Didn't strike me as a big deal at first, then I started wondering later.

Back