Shawn's 15 Year Employee Guitar, Start To Finish

What a great build - the orange color is really growing on me. Love the thread showing all the steps!

On a separate note, thanks for your time on my build today Shawn!

I was showing a dealer around the factory yesterday and he said "The price of these guitars is a bargain considering the amount of work that goes into each one". I agree
That's exactly how I felt after having seen the previous guitar build series you did (and reinforced by this thread as well).

OK, "bargain" might not be a word I'd use, but I definitely agree with the sentiment :)

How many man/woman-hours goes into an instrument, do you think?

That's exactly how I felt after having seen the previous guitar build series you did (and reinforced by this thread as well).

OK, "bargain" might not be a word I'd use, but I definitely agree with the sentiment :)

How many man/woman-hours goes into an instrument, do you think?

We have over 20 labor hours involved with making a core guitar. That does not include the time it takes to build the tuners or bridges.
I read that Toyota has a truck factory in Texas(?) that can build a truck in 10 hours.

20 for cover models... what's the average for a Private Stock considering the extra attention to detail and added things like more inlays, bindings, headstock overlays, perfling, more complicated stains.... ??

I'm floored with the work that goes into these guitars. I recently acquired my first PRS and it is the most playable best sounding guitar I've ever owned period. I'm actually in the process of trying to trade/sell some other guitars to get a 594 McCarty. These videos confirm why these guitars are so flipping good.

Do all of the US built PRS guitars go through this same process/attention to detail? In other words, does your standard Custom 22 get the same build process as this guitar or a private stock? I think the CE guitars are also US built are some of those processes automated to keep the price lower?

The CE (current) and S2 guitars save some time and cost with different processes and designs, but they're handled in much the same way. You can get glimpses of them in the background of some of Shawn's videos.

I suspect labor hours on a PS could be all over the map depending on complexity.

Back