SG alternatives

Don't forget the S2 standard 22. All hog, big pickguard.

That's where I'm at. I bought an S2 Standard 24 & after plsaying it I thought this would make an excellent alternative to an SG.

But I've never owned an SG. I've played a few a time or two, but never really spent any serious time with one.

...I started a thread about Derek Trucks' playing & style to generate SG comparisons, but didn't really get much. So I figured I'd be a little more forward.
I think the flaw in your plan was the fact that Derek plays slide...very unique slide. People are going to make that the focal point of their comments, not the SG. If you would have asked the same thing but substituted Angus you would probably have gotten what you wanted.

I think the general consensus is the Mira. I see that you wanted to consider the S2 Cu24 standard. Sure, I think it will do well. A lot will depend on the amp and settings.

I own both a 2013 SG Deluxe and a 2005 USA PRS Standard. I expected the PRS Standard to feel close to the SG since it is all mahogany, but they are two very different beasts. The SG feels different when standing and sitting - the neck feels further out and it is a further stretch for playing cowboy chords. Not a big deal, but noticeable.

Since more of the neck is exposed and since I need to reach further to get to the cowboy chord positions, it is more natural to perform "exaggerated" rock & roll moves with this guitar. I tend to think of my SG having the same attitude as a street punk. My PRS makes me think of James Bond. Smooth, well-dressed, not as in your face, but still plenty dangerous. At least the dangerous bit is true when I play.:p

There is no substitute for an SG. Just like there is no substitute for a Les Paul. Some guitars get close to the LP sound, but I've never heard anything get in the same ballpark as an SG. If you want an SG sound, get an SG.

I have never played - or seen a Mira - so my comment is based on what I have and know from MY experience. I had an SG for a couple years - by far my favorite Gibson. I sold it, however, because it was a Gibson (huh?!). Not because it said Gibson on the head, but because it suffered from what I consider to be the typical Gibson design flaws. In this case, it was a struggle to keep in tune and there was uncomfortable neck dive. Enough so that after using it live for a couple months, my left hip developed consistent pain. I was twisting/standing in a weird way to try to counter the dive.

I wasn't really looking for a replacement per say, but found a similar tone when I got my S2 Standard 22.

Not because it said Gibson on the head, but because it suffered from what I consider to be the typical Gibson design flaws. In this case, it was a struggle to keep in tune and there was uncomfortable neck dive. Enough so that after using it live for a couple months, my left hip developed consistent pain. I was twisting/standing in a weird way to try to counter the dive.

You know it's funny you mention that... I've got a really bad back and if I play the SG or the Firebird for too long I find it really aggravates it. I think that comes from the slightly unnatural position those two guitars put you in if you want to play anything lower than say the 10th fret or so. They are very peculiar feeling guitars. Still love them but they do a number on me for sure.

Back