SG alternatives

RevBillyG

Just curious if any of you were SG players before (or still) you began playing PRS. If so, what PRS have you found replaces your old SG most?

If you've noticed, there are several players here who were most comfortable playing Les Pauls before they found their McCarty, or DGT. & that's the kind of thing I'm looking for in regards to the SG.

Just curious if any of you were SG players before (or still) you began playing PRS. If so, what PRS have you found replaces your old SG most?

If you've noticed, there are several players here who were most comfortable playing Les Pauls before they found their McCarty, or DGT. & that's the kind of thing I'm looking for in regards to the SG.

I had an SG for a little while 12 or 15 years ago. Loved how easy it was to play (fast neck), but the honeymoon phase didn't last. I would say the Mira would fit. I haven't owned one, but have played a couple. I could see the comparison.

To me, the Mira is the obvious PRS-equivalent of an SG. All hog body, no fancy carves, similar shape.

The core Mira was 24 fret, while the typical SG is 22 fret, but there have been 24 fret SGs, and there is now the S2 Mira with 22 frets.

The controls on an SG are different from the Mira, but that may not be relevant for some folks, or might be chalk-and-cheese for other folks.

I've had a 1965 SG Special since '67 that was my brother's when it was new. It's still around, though I went PRS in 1991.

As others have said, the Mira comes closest to what you're looking for if it's the SG humbucker tone you're after.

If you want the SG P90 tone, PRS made a version with P90s at some point a few years back.

Echoing the Mira statements. I love mine, and I honestly didn't think I would. Everyday that passed without one seems like a wasted day now.

Check another one for the Mira. My warhorse 2008 24 fretter will help you peel paint through the right amplifier.

Same as above. Mira.
My '74 SG still is amazing but my 24 fret Mira with split coils gives some extra sound options and tone flexibility.
That being said, undulating and convulsing on the floor while playing Back in Black with a mint green guitar does get you a few more looks (than normal).;)

Last edited:
Like others have said the Mira is really nice and SG like :) ( I have one )
Surprised no-one mentioned the KL-33 or Santana as being bing VERY SG like.
The S2 Mira looks very SG like also
and there was a DC22 that is very cool

Thanks for your replies.

The Mira looks more Les Paul Jr... like Paul's original guitars

My 2 cents & about all it's worth. 1st; I love my PRS SE's. Look forward to a core model in the near future. 2nd; No disrespect intended to Paul or anyone here but my "gold standard guitar" is my 2014 (without the nibs at the fret ends) SG. All my other guitars are measured against this one. I have the ZM & 245 single cuts (which I like much better than my LP) Also the CU 24 which I find to be closest to my SG. I have not found "1" guitar that does it all. That said, I have a telecaster that can but I don't enjoy playing it as much as my SG or PRS's.

I didn't get into PRS Guitars until 2014 so prior to that, I had a low end Gibson SG Faded as well as a couple of ESP LTD Vipers. One thing that they all shared (aside from the fact that none of them are in my possession anymore) was that they were all very neck heavy and tended to make that dreaded drop until I moved the top strap lock to the base center of the neck joint. The SG & Vipers were more of a passing fancy for me as I was primarily a LP guy but now i am a LP AND DGT kinda guy lol.

To me, this is a tough call. I have a bone stock 2008 SG Standard that I have an unnatural and possibly unhealthy love for.... haha.

SGs, like Firebirds, are guitars that I don't think you can really find an equivalent to. I totally "get" trying to find the PRS that would be similar but it's never going to be quite the same. 24 fret PRSi seem to come the closest in ergonomics, and you'd have to have something relatively light and thin. I'll defer to those here who have experience with more PRS models than I do, but that's what I'd be looking for as a substitute. Oh yeah, and I'd want it raw and snarly..... ;-)

...something relatively light and thin. I'll defer to those here who have experience with more PRS models than I do, but that's what I'd be looking for as a substitute. Oh yeah, and I'd want it raw and snarly..... ;-)
You just described the Mira. The gen1 has 24 frets, the gen2 (S2) has 22. They can snarl with the best of them.

I bought my Mira (used) for the pickups as it's a color I'm not completely in love with, and the pick guard has always kinda turned me off. Well, I'm in love with the damn thing now. I brought it over to my buddy Rider's house, and then he had to have one too (which he now does). I'm telling y'all... they're sofaking cheap right now, there's no reason not to own a Mira!

I get wanting to approximate the sound of an SG, but to my (limited) ears, only an SG sounds like an SG. I love my PRS guitars, but I don't expect them to sound like a Telecaster or a 335, or a Gretsch. That's why if I need a certain sound, I reach for the appropriate guitar. It's probably because I'm not good enough to get these other sounds from my PRS collection.

I get wanting to approximate the sound of an SG, but to my (limited) ears, only an SG sounds like an SG. I love my PRS guitars, but I don't expect them to sound like a Telecaster or a 335, or a Gretsch. That's why if I need a certain sound, I reach for the appropriate guitar. It's probably because I'm not good enough to get these other sounds from my PRS collection.

As we stated with the Strat and LP thread. If you are intent on getting the exact tone of the SG, get the SG. Period. If you want the type of tone, and the emotion that playing a light, hard rocking, raw guitar can give you (as portrayed by the SG), the Mira will deliver in spades, and it's easier to play and will stay in tune. Given what comes with each guitar, I'll take the Mira.

I didn't ask about approximating the sound of an SG. I'm asking what guitar replaced their SG?

I'm curious as most here who are open about their preference of PRS over Gibson are usually talking about a particular PRS vs a Les Paul.

I started a thread about Derek Trucks' playing & style to generate SG comparisons, but didn't really get much. So I figured I'd be a little more forward.

Back