Setup Specs vs Player Preference

Telemesa

Hi Everyone,
I run into this on probably every guitar I own. Manufacturers give specification measurements for the overall setup of the guitar, and yet I never seem to be comfortable with a guitar set to factory specs. I live in the place beyond that. In other words, I have my own specs, and when I simply can't get a guitar to measure up I get rid of it. Whether it's Teles, Strats, Les Pauls, Custom 24s, Santana's, or what ever, they all have to perform as I need them to, but some need more coaxing than others. Some are just on the edge of meeting my expectations. The guitars I have to coax along the most are some of the more expensive ones. Between bridge height, saddle height, pickup height, and truss rod relief, I usually don't get this soup of adjustments to feel right and still fall within factory specs.
How do you feel about that, have you ever been there?
Thanks

I generally find I need more neck relief and can't get along with too straight a neck. I also tend to raise the action too, as I have large blunt fingers and can't get under the strings to bend if it's too low; plus I hate fret buzz. I never tend to measure anything and just adjust away until I'm happy. Have no idea where any of my guitars are in relation to the factory specs.

I generally find I need more neck relief and can't get along with too straight a neck. I also tend to raise the action too, as I have large blunt fingers and can't get under the strings to bend if it's too low; plus I hate fret buzz. I never tend to measure anything and just adjust away until I'm happy. Have no idea where any of my guitars are in relation to the factory specs.

And I agree completely. It's only when I start struggling with one that I start checking specs.
Thanks

Could not have said it better. This is me, as well.

Nothing wrong with making it your own, there is no one-size-fits-all here.
There are so many styles of playing and so much natural variation in each of us as players, that a simple spec will never suit everyones needs.

Could not have said it better. This is me, as well.

I’m in this camp too

I love the standard PRS spec. It's perfect for me.

Either something within the standard PRS spec works for me, or I’ve acclimated to it over the last 27 years. Either way, I’m good to go. When Jack Gretz, or Skitchy from the PTC set them up...man! Awesome.

Nonetheless, if a factory spec didn’t work for me, I would absolutely have it adjusted. That’s why guitars are adjustable!

I always figured factory specs were just a general set up for factory quality control and not so much for the player. More like an average minimum to pass a stage in production before shipping without spending more labour setting it up.

So if your lucky the guitar might have a lot more adjustment. If unlucky a change in environment during transit from the factory might mean the guitar has buzz when unboxed.

I suspect the factory setting tried to be generous enough to avoid extra Labour without setup issues when it comes out the box.

Factory setups are a generic starting place. For some they are just right out of the case, others will need to tweak stuff.

What boggles my mind is when someone buys a production guitar and expects it to be perfectly set up to their individual tastes straight off. It’s even more mind boggling when they complain vociferously that it ain’t so and then blame the manufacturer, or the dealer for shoddy work or poor quality control.

I’m liking the approach of this thread very much. Finally someone gets that a mass produced product is not tailored to individual specs or wants and was never intended to be.

Set up is absolutely a personal thing. I prefer a little more action, so that I feel the guitar is giving me a little something back. I like the response of the string for pull-offs and hammer-ons with the action like this.

But this is my preference, how I interact with the fretboard.

I wouldn’t expect a guitar to come out of the case exactly the way I want it, unless it was a custom build, where you had had regular involvement in its production and the builder knew your preferences.

Also, adjustments can be made by the owner (ability dependent) to personal preference as Les suggested.

Last edited:
I do find it interesting the amount of people who seem to be scared of making adjustments to guitars themselves. I've always just got stuck right into it, but then I suppose I have an engineering background so am quite happy to tinker

I would agree with most of the reply's and also add some of us like to tinker even if nothings wrong, others will just leave it alone. I also think quality has a lot to do with it as I've adjusted/modded more of the less expensive guitars I have bought over the years and tended to have a better starting point with the good stuff. There is no doubt PRS is SO consistent in there quality. They have set the bar. Many here have expressed that they would have no problem buying a PRS without laying there hands on it.

Back