setting fulcrum screws

gush

Where is that speedo pic
Both of the CEs I picked up in dec have tuning issues, both trems were set up not to float and had spring claw screwed tight to make them that way. I want them to float so I have been slowly working on them.

How do you techies set the fulcrum screws so they are even? I have the 22 working pretty well now but I just eyeballed the screws and filed a couple of the nut slots. The 24 however has been messed with a bunch and may have some damaged fulcrum screws.

Thanks in advance for any help.

O.k.gush here we go loosen strings pull off back cover I am assuming the fulcrum screws are flush with body . Loosen screws a couple of threads maybe a 16th of an inch tune guitar up the rear of the bridge is probably touching body,with Phillips screwdriver loosen springs at the same tension going backand forth check bridge it should be raising up keep tuning guitar to pitch have the bridge and the bridge screws level. I hope this helps it takes a little time but you'll get it remember the higher you raise the bridge the further the strings will raise from the neck affecting action good luck

Hi Gush!
I do as MannMade instruction says.Start with the 2 outside screws to obtain desired bridge height.When you have it 1/16 above guitarbody on both sides(check without springs or strings on)and continue with the remaining 4 screws.To have them even i check from side,both bass to treble and treble to bass side,the grooves in the screws will be a dark line when they are even.I think thats better than to check from front or measuring height.Last step is to install springs and strings.With springs on put a business card or something similar between tremoloplate and body to protect finish.If lets say tremolo floats 1/8 or 1/32 above body when strings are tuned to pitched and springs adjusted you just release all the tension from springs and strings,detune and take springs off and start over with outside screws again :).Be patience!One last thing if i wasnt clear,when having outside screws adjusted you press tremoloplate down so its flat against body the install the remaing four and check for that dark line as i call it.

Hello. I am having a similar problem. I bought a "locked down" SE EG that I'd like to float again. I have followed the directions such as setting screw height, adjusting claw and string tension to get it to float and stay in tune. One issue I am having is that when I put the trem arm into the trem, due to the collets being tight without the tension screw, often it pushes the entire trem down off of the groove in the screws and flat onto the body.

I would replace the screws as they look a bit worn, but they are $60 :eek: and without knowing that is the issue I don't want to experiment at that cost.

Is there any help in putting felt washers under the screws to keep the front of the trem up? I see that on some very old guitars. I am thinking a few of the felt washers that you use on strap buttons.

Hello. I am having a similar problem. I bought a "locked down" SE EG that I'd like to float again. I have followed the directions such as setting screw height, adjusting claw and string tension to get it to float and stay in tune. One issue I am having is that when I put the trem arm into the trem, due to the collets being tight without the tension screw, often it pushes the entire trem down off of the groove in the screws and flat onto the body.

I would replace the screws as they look a bit worn, but they are $60 :eek: and without knowing that is the issue I don't want to experiment at that cost.

Is there any help in putting felt washers under the screws to keep the front of the trem up? I see that on some very old guitars. I am thinking a few of the felt washers that you use on strap buttons.

I used to have that problem too when I was starting out messing with tweaking and setup. If the trem plate is balanced perfectly, which means all 6 screws are precisely at the same height, and the bar dive tension from both the treble and bass sides of the trem plate are equal, the knife edge will not come out from the pivot groove. If you're not able to get rid of the problem, the pivot screw or the knife edge may have been worn out since it's a used guitar. You'll have to invest in some new pivot screws if that's the case.

Back