SE Vintage/Kluson Replacement

GavQuinn

Hello all,

Can anyone recommend a replacement Kluson tuner that dops in for the SE models? Bernie Marsden.

I don't want locking tuners or to ream bigger holes etc, I like the Klusons, I just want to know if there are a better quality drop in available and if anyone's got them.

I know Gotoh do them but their site isn't great, it's all numbers etc, no product names or easy reference info, if someone could link a replacement that'd be great,

Thanks,
Gav

Thanks for the link, interesting but I just want a better Kluson, the SE ones feel cheap. Nicer quality ones really. I have the USA but installed so I really don’t have tuning issues as is.. still though, nicer quality, nicer ring maybe?

StewMac is your friend for all parts traditional and non-PRS specific.

They have Klusons in either TonePros or Gotoh flavor. I think Wilkinson makes or made Klusons as well, but I haven't heard anything good about them (lotsa bad, though). TonePros quality seems to be dependent on year of manufacture, and Gotohs seem to be considered the best of the bunch.

Thanks for the link, interesting but I just want a better Kluson, the SE ones feel cheap. Nicer quality ones really. I have the USA but installed so I really don’t have tuning issues as is.. still though, nicer quality, nicer ring maybe?

I have a set of Gotoh SD-90 HAP on mine. These look just like vintage klusons but have the advantage of Height Adjustable Post Hence "HAP", They are adujstable from 17mm to 24.5mm, the tuners footprint is exactly the same as the ones on the bernie
I'm thinking of putting a set on my 15 mcCarty.

My Bernie

Dimension diagrams
https://g-gotoh.com/international/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/SD-post-dimension-1.jpg
https://g-gotoh.com/international/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/SD90-dimension-2.jpg

https://g-gotoh.com/international/product/sd90.html

I have a set of Gotoh SD-90 HAP on mine. These look just like vintage klusons but have the advantage of Height Adjustable Post Hence "HAP", They are adujstable from 17mm to 24.5mm, the tuners footprint is exactly the same as the ones on the bernie
I'm thinking of putting a set on my 15 mcCarty.l

Hi thanks for the answer, I reckon the SD90 is a good starting point for a fit.

Tell me, what was it that you personally preferred about the height adjustable ones? I have staggered tuners on my EJ strat so there’s no need for a string tree.

These were a perfect fit?

StewMac is your friend for all parts traditional and non-PRS specific.

They have Klusons in either TonePros or Gotoh flavor. I think Wilkinson makes or made Klusons as well, but I haven't heard anything good about them (lotsa bad, though). TonePros quality seems to be dependent on year of manufacture, and Gotohs seem to be considered the best of the bunch.

Yeah, I know the retailers etc, just wondered if anyone knew the specific model, in case there was an issue with metric to imperial etc, I wanted a drop in replacement.

A lot of kluson alike tuners the post are to short for some headstocks to be able to get a decent wrap around but with these it doesn't matter the thickness of the headstock these will fit virtually any(the only regret I have about my 15 McCarty is the standard thickness headstock - I think the older one looks classier) with these though I can put them on the McCarty and they still look like the older models also I love the fact that you can stagger them, I've staggered them on my Bernie and a couple of my other guitar to get uniform pressure across the nut.

A lot of kluson alike tuners the post are to short for some headstocks to be able to get a decent wrap around but with these it doesn't matter the thickness of the headstock these will fit virtually any(the only regret I have about my 15 McCarty is the standard thickness headstock - I think the older one looks classier) with these though I can put them on the McCarty and they still look like the older models also I love the fact that you can stagger them, I've staggered them on my Bernie and a couple of my other guitar to get uniform pressure across the nut.

I know the Starla and McCarty and my Singlecut have the thinner headstock, does the latest McCarty have the thicker one now?

I don't mind how the tuners look really, the newer open ones look great.

What I love about the Klusons is the weight, they're really light. I couldn't prove it in a court of law but I honestly think that the lighter tuners give the neck a stronger resonance, (more vibration in your left hand.)

I remember years ago I changed the Klusons on a Flying V for grovers, it mucked up the sound. It didn't ring as smoothly and warmly, and it ruined a balanced V by making it neck heavy.

Replace the nut and stretch strings - done.

I use Gotoh SD-90 MG tuners on my Bernie. Ordered them locally through a local online retailer. They fit perfectly, although the string posts are a little shorter. Hasn’t caused any issues to date.

If you can’t source them locally, you would need to use the website and then you can customize them to a certain extent. The basic set works perfectly, so unless you want height-adjustable posts or the different locking mechanism, you can just order those.

The standard ones are also some of the lighter vintage tuners available.

I use Gotoh SD-90 MG tuners on my Bernie. Ordered them locally through a local online retailer. They fit perfectly, although the string posts are a little shorter. Hasn’t caused any issues to date.

If you can’t source them locally, you would need to use the website and then you can customize them to a certain extent. The basic set works perfectly, so unless you want height-adjustable posts or the different locking mechanism, you can just order those.

The standard ones are also some of the lighter vintage tuners available.

Thank you my woman/man, xx

Back