SE Tremonti Custom Trem Tuning Stability

Dan_Halen

Hi Guys,

I recently acquired a PRS SE Tremonti Custom in a trade & I absolutely love it. I also have a CE24 & a 408 which are amazing guitars.

However, the Tremonti has some serious tuning problems. It's currently strung with 9-42 gauge D'Addarios. I've changed the stock nut & tuners to a TUSQ XL & Schaller M6 locking tuners but it's not really made much of a difference.

The tuning goes out if I use the trem lightly or bend the strings with a little left hand vibrato.

As its second hand, I don't really know what's been done to it previously. The trem only has 3 springs fitted. Is this standard for an SE or should it have 4 (or 5).

I'm gonna get a pro setup done on it but was wondering if there's anything else I could also try.

Thanks.
Dan.

Assuming that the strings are stretched and locked tight, the two things that jump out are the nut binding and the trem not being set up properly. There are set up vids for the core line trem - not sure about the SEs.

Hey buddy, welcome to the forum.

I guess the things I would check first are: Are there wraps of strings around your tuners? Is your nut improperly cut? Are the ball-ends of the strings resting snuggly in the trem block? And lastly, Did you stretch the strings well enough?

The number of trem springs would really only effect tension, and not tuning stability.

Thanks guys.

The machine heads are Schaller Locking ones so there's no windings around them as such. They're literally pulled through, clamped, tuned to pitch & excess string clipped.

The strings are well stretched in as I've been playing it for around 2 weeks now. The nut slots do need to be filed down a bit as the action is a little high at 1st fret, but it's a brand new TUSQ nut and its strung with 9s so I'd be very surprised if it's binding.

Hi to all.
I have the same problem with my Tremonti custom. I've replaced the normal stock tuners with a locking version of it. I don't change the nut, but i applied graphite with a pencil on it to improve the string's transition.
I must to try to follow alantig tips.
Thanks
I write if I resolve

Tuner machine upgrade

Hi! Just want to ask if the Hipshot tuning machines would FIT an PRS SE guitar??? THanks!!!

I had minor tuning issues with my Tremonti Custom at first but graphite in the nut slots seemed to do the trick.

graphite in the nut slots seemed to do the trick.
I 'scribble' on all my (guitar) nuts with an HB pencil and never have any such issues as I used to - highly recommended and cheap.

I know this comment and question is a couple years late but anyways, im having the same issues with the thing to stay in tune. I replaced the stock nut with a tusq nut, have the locking tuners. There's no buzzing noises and the actions seems good. Also have the graphite in the string slots on the nut. Still no help with tuning stability. I do have to say that after using the trem and a note bend, the tuning most of the time goes sharp. Very disappointed about the tuning, because it's sounds pretty good and it looks pretty sharp, but unless if it doesn't stay in tune. Any other ideas?

Back