SE Santana Std string gauge?

Ryebread

Not Texas Toast!
I just bought a PRS SE Santana Standard last week in Vintage Cherry finish. This guitar is also my first "brand new" electric guitar since 1989. I've had and still have many guitars but I just buy them used. Anyway, I use 10's on all my electrics except my LP gets 11's. But this PRS has 9's and the setup is fantastic! However I'm considering changing the strings to GHS 9.5-44ga set. I thought maybe someone here could let me know if they've tried it and what difference it makes, good or bad? Like I said the setup is fantastic right now with the 9's so I don't want to mess around with it. If changing to the 9.5 will require any adjustments I would probably just stick with the 9's on this guitar.

Last edited:
FWIW...I think going up from 9 to 9.5's may (again: may) require some very minor adjustments. (Tighten the spring claw in rear cavity, SLIGHTLY tighten truss rod, etc...). Over time , it probably will change the set-up a little bit. I've taken a few older PRSi and went from 9 up to 10, and they needed minor tweaking, but play like proverbial BUTTAH now...the big thing is to remember to do any adjustments in very small increments. 1/8 to 1/4 turn, retune and recheck, repeat as required, etc...

Thanks Bill! I've never tried the 9.5's but supposedly it's what Carlos uses. I will probably string it up with the 9.5's to get an idea what the difference is and then decide whether to continue with that gauge or stick with 9's. Maybe even just tune down a half step which I kinda like better than standard tuning anyway. My dilemma is just that fact it's so perfect right now the way it is. I'm also quite experienced at setting up my own guitar. To me having someone else setup your guitar for you is like having someone else adjust your car seat. They never seem to get it just right. Cheers...

Could not agree more...I've done a lot of basic set-ups, and everyone plays/attacks strings differently...that's why I think all guitar players should at least know the basics...IMHO. Try it...just remember to make adjustments in small increments...Good luck, and have fun!!!!

Back