SE Mods

Wow lots of nice Se guitars and mods I picked up a SE EG thats a little road worn but plays good etc/ i am going to swap out the pups and stuff soon as I figure what to use . I will start with the SC 's I have a set of Fender Robert Cray pups so I may put the neck and middle in. Wondering if i shoulod go with 250K instead of the stock 500 !
It is missing a bass side stock tuner so i was womdering if any of you peoploe that changed yours out would like to sell the stock tuners.

On my 1st year SE Singlecut, I put Artist Pickups and McCarty wiring in it. The tuners are just fine. I only had to widen the nut slots a little, which solved what most people think is a tuner problem. The PRS SE line is the best value line guitar.

Such a beautiful guitar..

I have a korina one, is it posibblen to install humbucker justnlike yours? Thanks!

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;8606 said:
SE_One_Mod.jpg

SE_One_TRC.jpg

SE_One_2Tek_Back.jpg

SE_One_2Tek_Outside.jpg

Hi Mike
I wanted to ask you if you replaced that tusq nut yourself?
If so was it easy and howd you do it?
If not then, what did it cost to have someone do it
Thanks

Hi bud,

I had my guitar tech do it... It cost me £35 for the nut, fitting and new strings. He had it done in a couple of hours and it's perfect with the string spacing exacly how I wanted it.

It's not too hard to replace a nut yourself considering you can get pre-slotted ones made to fit the SE's and other makes.

Personally I didn't want to take the risk of f'ing up a new guitar and I new my tech would do it perfect first time and quickly to boot! £35 is a good price for peace of mind.

I'd say if you're not comfortable doing it on your own get a reputable tech to do it. Shouldn't cost much.

Definately worth upgrading to a Tusq (Or US PRS Nut) though over the stock SE ones!

I almost ALWAYS replace a nut on anything I get
I do have a qualified luthier in Tampa that can do it for me
Thanks

Hi bud,

I had my guitar tech do it... It cost me £35 for the nut, fitting and new strings. He had it done in a couple of hours and it's perfect with the string spacing exacly how I wanted it.

It's not too hard to replace a nut yourself considering you can get pre-slotted ones made to fit the SE's and other makes.

Personally I didn't want to take the risk of f'ing up a new guitar and I new my tech would do it perfect first time and quickly to boot! £35 is a good price for peace of mind.

I'd say if you're not comfortable doing it on your own get a reputable tech to do it. Shouldn't cost much.

Definately worth upgrading to a Tusq (Or US PRS Nut) though over the stock SE ones!

when you guys replace the pickups does it need a F spaced or a Regular spaced pickup for pole pieces to fall directly under the strings.

I'm guessing either teh nut or the fact you blacked out the name
Or the tuners?
Am I right ?
What did I win ?
:hello:
My modded SE Baritone.

Bridge pickup: PRS HFS with an Alnico 5 magnet.
Neck pickup: Fralin, measures roughly 8K.
Volume and tone pots are CTS
Switch is a superswitch, 5 way, HFS splits on the 2 position, Fralin splits on the 4, both pickups full on in parallel on the 3 (pretty standard switching for this setup).
Knobs are Fender black witch hats, look way better than the small chrome dome knobs IMHO.
Tuners are Planet Waves locking auto trim.

IMG_3118.jpg

And of course, my favorite mod to this instrument. Can you spot it?
IMG_3121.jpg

Ding ding ding! It's the electrical tape over the metal dude's name. I haven't met either guy in person, but if you watch you tube interviews of Mushok vs say Grissom, it's pretty obvious who's the nice guy and who's the total douche!

Ah - 'Splains it. I did it because I have clients in that occasionally have gear-gasms over the stuff in the racks and once someone said "Does that switch panel say American DJ?" and it really wrecked the moment... :laugh:

What did I win? LOL !!!

My Newly nutted SE custom 24 is ready for me to shred out on
and I put gold speed knobs on in place of the amber ones

Ding ding ding! It's the electrical tape over the metal dude's name. I haven't met either guy in person, but if you watch you tube interviews of Mushok vs say Grissom, it's pretty obvious who's the nice guy and who's the total douche!

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;30486 said:
Definitely! Send it to the PRS Tech Center.

Here's a more recent photo.

SE1_Starla.jpg

Hi,i have a korina se one, is it posible to put humbucker pickups on it? Im thinking getting a humbucker instead of p90s.

The new nut makes the guitar sing when not plugged in !

Does anyone know of a pickup for the neck pos in my Se custom 24 to make it sound more 'tubular'?

Hi,i have a korina se one, is it posible to put humbucker pickups on it? Im thinking getting a humbucker instead of p90s.
Yes. It's super easy. Any competent guitar repair shop can do it but if you want to do it in style, send it in to the PRS Tech Center and get the nut and pots upgraded while it's there.

Almost certainly Alpha.

I honestly wouldn't bother replacing the pots unless you:

A: Want to experiment with values
B: Have an issue with the ones installed

I changed mine to CTS Audio Taper as I didn't like the taper on one of the pots but the first set of CTS I got where junk.

In the end I ordered some Bare Knuckle CTS pots. Audio Taper 550k.

I also had to ream the holes, although it wasn't too hard.

Having said that, if you sent it to PTC as Hans suggested then it's probably worthwhile having the 'leccies and nut upgraded. Otherwise wait until you need to.

My mods:
DiMarzio jack, pots, pickup switch
Seymour Duncan JB & Jazz
Graphtech Black TUSQ nut and saddles (G, B and E only)
Volume where Tone was, pickup switch where Volume was, nothing where pickup switch was, no Tone

Back