SE Mike Mushok Baritone vs SE 277 Baritone

I give up.

277 Semi-Hollow soapbar arrived today.

Beautiful woodwork, very nice veneer on the top with a crisp, clear flame pattern under the vintage burst. The mahogany back looked great through the orange-tint finish. Nice and light. Acoustically, it was more lively and resonant than the solid-body version.

But the neck is NOT a wide/fat carve like the solid body, or like my USA McCarty. The width is similar, but it's much shallower than a McCarty, or the other SE's with wide/fat necks.

Someone else would probably love it for the fast, slender feel, but I do not get on well with pencil necks.

That was an important factor in my purchase decision, so this one is going back.

That's strange, according to the website its a wide-fat neck. Moreover, it seems strange to me that the semi-hollow would have a different neck (especially one that is thinner) than the solidbody version. Sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you.

That's strange, according to the website its a wide-fat neck. Moreover, it seems strange to me that the semi-hollow would have a different neck (especially one that is thinner) than the solidbody version. Sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you.

Update on the "different neck" topic. As I am looking at soap bar, this question about necks caused me to write PRS with the question, "...the neck is different on the solid body versus the semi-hollow?" Shawn, the customer service manager, wrote back the following: "The neck carve on the SE models will vary slightly from instrument to instrument, but the specs for both models call for the same carve."

I have Steve's same sentiment on the Mushok, e.g., not a bonding experience. I found the Cherry one, but then traded that for what I think they called Tobacco Burst? Much prettier IMHO. Sounds pretty good, but... thinking about the soap bar 277.

Steve: would be interested in hearing where you landed. Thanks for this topic.

I have both a MM and the 277 SH (2017 version, just released) - see my NGD thread for pics.

I honestly did not feel any difference in the necks when I was comparing the guitars for tone. I'll check again tonight if I remember, but I must admit I switch between WF, WT, and "Regular" fairly easily across my PRSi, so maybe I'm just not as sensitive to that as I once thought I might be.

Regarding neck profile: I played both tonight, and tried to feel whether the neck was different - nope, felt the same, same reach (or lack thereof) for my left thumb, same feel to barre chords, etc.

Regarding neck profile: I played both tonight, and tried to feel whether the neck was different - nope, felt the same, same reach (or lack thereof) for my left thumb, same feel to barre chords, etc.

Shinksma, thank's much for the feedback. Confirms Shaw's point.

Steve: would be interested in hearing where you landed. Thanks for this topic.

Back