SE fret wear: is this an issue? Was it an issue?

sinical

I've seen excessive fret wear mentioned a couple times on various other forums, that the SE's are great guitars (I agree), but one of the main issues is that the frets wear down quickly, in comparison to other, similarly priced guitars.

Question is, was this an actual issue, and if so, has it been addressed in recent years? I kind of want a couple SE's right now, but this makes me a little nervous. A re-fret isn't exactly a cheap proposition!

Thanks!

No one's ever complained about it here or on the older Forums, and you can bet that if it was a problem, it'd be posted here.

The internet is a funny place. People will say just about anything. Then other people read it and think it's somehow true.

Because they read it.

By the way, I have miraculous powers and am immortal. You read it here.

No one's ever complained about it here or on the older Forums, and you can bet that if it was a problem, it'd be posted here.

The internet is a funny place. People will say just about anything. Then other people read it and think it's somehow true.

Because they read it.

By the way, I have miraculous powers and am immortal. You read it here.

Oh I totally get that, that's why I wanted to ask on this forum, rather than relying upon information on other sites. I really dig the SE line, and some of the stuff you can't get in the S2 or Core lines, i.e. the baritone in particular. So its cool to hear this.

As the owner of a few SEs over the years, I've had no issues out of any of mine. I recently sold an 07 SE Singlecut and its frets were still looking really good. I used 11s on it so it wasn't like I was using super tiny strings on it either.

The only SE I've ever seen with any sort of fret issues was a used SE245 in a GC a while back and it was clearly caused by neglect, not bad build quality.

Reminds me of the rumor that SE P-90s are somehow a non-standard size. :confused:

For something anecdotal, I've had an '02, '05, and two '07 SE guitars. Three came to me used within the last two years, and the other I put a few years of play time on myself. The frets looked great on all four.

Reminds me of the rumor that SE P-90s are somehow a non-standard size. :confused:

For something anecdotal, I've had an '02, '05, and two '07 SE guitars. Three came to me used within the last two years, and the other I put a few years of play time on myself. The frets looked great on all four.

When added up, different anecdotes add up to good information. So I definitely appreciate it. :D

My Se Orianthi has a bit of fret wear, but no more so than any of my other PRS that see as much action.

Back