SE Custom 24-08 or 35th anniversary S2 Custom 24

Roudan

Hi

I am not sure if this has been discussed. I'd like to buy SE 24-08 since it is cheaper but no stock whatever at this moment due to shipping issue. I do still found 35th anniversary S2 custom 24 with also better color to me. Their pickups are slightly different, one is TCI and the other is 85/15 S. I am wondering which one is better? I read some posts and feel like TCI in SE could be better than 85/15 S. Is it right? I also do feel S2 body contour(body carve) look different and it got not a good review from guitar world, see below link. How do you feel that body contour of S2? Thanks

https://www.guitarworld.com/reviews/prs-s2-35th-anniversary-custom-24-review

Last edited:
I'm of the opinion if the S2 is in budget overall it's a better guitar, but that doesn't mean anything against the the SE. It's a great guitar too. It comes down to budget as there is no wrong choice. I look at the S2 as an American SE.

Another option if you want the TCI is the SE 35th, but kinda doubtful you'll find new stock.

Same here, the S2 has higher grade wood, and is a bit more refined IMO, but the SE is still a fantastic guitar. In this particular case, they are very similar, and it might just come down to which sounds and feels best to you. I personally like the S2 carve just fine, I have a few…..and a few SE, they all rock.

I was really bummed that the S2 35th didn't come with the TCI pickups. The S2 has a better build/woods, the SE has the better pickups. They're both good, but the S2 could've been better.

You want a great guitar, get an S2 Standard (satin or gloss) and throw a set of USA pickups in it. It'll be about the same price as the S2 35th.

I'm of the opinion if the S2 is in budget overall it's a better guitar, but that doesn't mean anything against the the SE. It's a great guitar too. It comes down to budget as there is no wrong choice. I look at the S2 as an American SE.

Another option if you want the TCI is the SE 35th, but kinda doubtful you'll find new stock.
Thanks Sinsir, if I can find Se 35th, would it be better than se 24-08 or s2 35th? Thx

Thanks Sinsir, if I can find Se 35th, would it be better than se 24-08 or s2 35th? Thx

Welcome. The SE 35th is comparable to the SE 24-08. I personally prefer the abalone birds and finish options on the 35th over the 24-08.

Thank you SinSir. I appreciate your guidance. I just bought one se custom24 35th from heartbreakers guitar. I cannot wait.

Congratulations! Black gold or faded blue?

Looking forward to a NGD post when it arrives

You chose... wisely! Got a great guitar AND saved a ton of cash. Congrats on your new purchase.

I have a S2 custom 24 35th anniversary and a SE Custom 24 and a SE Paul's Guitar. The S2 is an American made PRS with SE electronics. The S2 is the better playing and sounding guitar. The 20-08 option was not available when I purchased the S2 and I'm ok with that. The 85/15 pickups are standard for the SE Custom 24. The Paul's guitar is the TCI pickups. Make a great pair guitars mahogany neck, mahogany body, wide fat profile necks , and the Paul's guitar switching. One fixed bridge the other has a tremolo bridge. The Paul's guitar is the best SE guitar made and the S2 is intended to be the gig guitar while your core model stays home safe

I was really bummed that the S2 35th didn't come with the TCI pickups. The S2 has a better build/woods, the SE has the better pickups. They're both good, but the S2 could've been better.

You want a great guitar, get an S2 Standard (satin or gloss) and throw a set of USA pickups in it. It'll be about the same price as the S2 35th.
First of all love this idea. What do you think about an S2 standard with TCI pickups from an SE Paul’s? Worth it or no?

I don't really notice any difference. Tuned capacitance isn't new or unique technically. Small shift in tuning pickup , more about the Henry's than the ohms I've read everything I could find about them can't really understand how they are different.

Are American TCI pickups available ?

With the S2 models Core pickups would be the logical upgrade to close the gap between the core and CE models. It's a 35th anniversary custom 24 with the 24 08 switching. Options are 408 pickups because the 24 08 switching came that guitar.
Paul's guitar TCI pickups , or custom 24 85/15 pickups. All these options would cost less than a used SE. Small investment big gain..
Any advice ?

Almost.. I had a set of 85/15 TCI pickups from a new CE 24 in my cart on reverb.com , just couldn't make the leap. $370 for the pair that included wiring, volume pot, tone pot, cap, output jack. I think it comes down to , I want it but I don't really have a need because I like the 85/15s pickups. I can imagine it but didn't need it.
So I'll except the S2 for what it is and be happy

Back