SE angelus preamp/pickup replacement

tinfish

hey there, new to the forum, just wondering if anybody else has replaced the preamp and pickup in their se angelus. best playing and sounding acoustic I've ever owned, until I plug it in. which I do 170+ times a year on gigs. talked to other owners, they're struggling with tone issues too. I think the fishman presys preamp will drop right into the hole, if anybody's done it, hit me up, I'll keep you guys posted as to how it goes
greetings!
tinfish

My ae50evs se angelus has a problem with the pickup -- the middle strings (D and G) are not being amplified. I need to replace piezo ... so I'm super interested any action on this 7 to 8 year old thread. Anyone have a similar experience or any advice?

I installed a Fishman Rare Earth Blend into mine and it was pretty simple. I removed the under saddle pickup, which lowered the action just a tiny bit which was fine for me. Then I removed the battery and the factory input jack. I had to expand the input jack hole to 1/2" using a step-bit, but since it's plastic a regular 1/2" bit would work. I then ran the REB into it and it worked great.

It's also pretty easy to reverse this process if you ever sell it and want to keep the REB. The slightly widened input jack will accept the factory jack with no problem.

I installed a Fishman Rare Earth Blend into mine and it was pretty simple. I removed the under saddle pickup, which lowered the action just a tiny bit which was fine for me. Then I removed the battery and the factory input jack. I had to expand the input jack hole to 1/2" using a step-bit, but since it's plastic a regular 1/2" bit would work. I then ran the REB into it and it worked great.

It's also pretty easy to reverse this process if you ever sell it and want to keep the REB. The slightly widened input jack will accept the factory jack with no problem.
Are you happy with the sound of the Rare Earth Blend?

Are you happy with the sound of the Rare Earth Blend?

Yes, I’ve used them in several instruments over the years with great results. In more intimate settings I roll it towards the mic. If I need higher volume, I role it towards the magnet. I’ve head multiple folks comment on how natural it sounds.

Back