SE Alex Lifeson Thinline Acoustic!

theres also now a review on guitarists magazine youtube channel, doesn't do it for me either

Having just watched that review, if it is correct then the AL has laminate back as opposed to solid back on my cheaper Standard! Leaving aside the fact if this matters at all regarding tone, it is often used by guitar companies as a reason to increase price. Which makes the £800 UK price even more confusing! I think PRS have really dropped the ball on this model.

Having just watched that review, if it is correct then the AL has laminate back as opposed to solid back on my cheaper Standard! Leaving aside the fact if this matters at all regarding tone, it is often used by guitar companies as a reason to increase price. Which makes the £800 UK price even more confusing! I think PRS have really dropped the ball on this model.

The standard is laminate sides and back, is not a signature model, is not a thinline, has different electronics...

I pre-ordered one of these guitars a month ago when they were first announced, due to ship to me 4/23. Just this week I was notified that's not going to happen: the new date is now June! The store I ordered from received this shipping update from PRS, and other online stores have followed suit. Anyone know what's happening?

PRS specs state that the SE Angelus Standard has a solid mahogany back: http://www.prsguitars.com/seangelus/standardspecs.php
It's possible that this only applied to 2014 models.

Interesting. If you drill down to the SE Angelus Std page from the PRS Products page, it takes you here (note the difference in URLs):

http://www.prsguitars.com/seangelusstandard/

There, is states just "Mahogany" for the back, differentiating from the description of the top ("Solid Sitka Spruce") or for the 2014 SE Angelus Custom, which states "Solid Rosewood" for the back.

I agree that "solid" backs are often part of the marketing for a more expensive price.

I pre-ordered one of these guitars a month ago when they were first announced, due to ship to me 4/23. Just this week I was notified that's not going to happen: the new date is now June! The store I ordered from received this shipping update from PRS, and other online stores have followed suit. Anyone know what's happening?

I have two guesses:

1. It just took longer to produce enough actual guitars to meet the apparent pre-order demand.
2. The port delays in Feb/March resulting from the strikes caused PRS to hold up shipments until the delays were worked through, to avoid acoustic guitars sitting too long out in the ocean.

It could be something else altogether now. (crowd sings: "It could be something else...")

Interesting. If you drill down to the SE Angelus Std page from the PRS Products page, it takes you here (note the difference in URLs):

http://www.prsguitars.com/seangelusstandard/

There, is states just "Mahogany" for the back, differentiating from the description of the top ("Solid Sitka Spruce") or for the 2014 SE Angelus Custom, which states "Solid Rosewood" for the back.

I agree that "solid" backs are often part of the marketing for a more expensive price.

Interesting indeed, and confusing :confused::confused::confused: Anybody wanna cut one open to find out for sure?

I have two guesses:

1. It just took longer to produce enough actual guitars to meet the apparent pre-order demand.
2. The port delays in Feb/March resulting from the strikes caused PRS to hold up shipments until the delays were worked through, to avoid acoustic guitars sitting too long out in the ocean.

It could be something else altogether now. (crowd sings: "It could be something else...")

Great guesses, I would not have thought of Number 2...they are allowing me too much time to rethink my order.

Last edited:
Received my Lifeson model SE Angelus Thinline last week!

SE%20Angelus.jpg

I'm enjoying this guitar very much, with no regrets! It does not sound quite as deep and full as my dreadnought guitar, but it projects sound very well and has a bright tone. Very easy to play for an acoustic guitar; action is low and the neck feels more like an electric guitar to me. I haven't had a chance to try out the electric sounds as I don't have an acoustic amp. My first PRS guitar is a keeper for me.

One interesting related item: I saw Rush in ATL Tuesday night, and Alex played this SE model on stage during the concert! I was shocked; figured he'd be using his Private Stock model. During close-ups of his acoustic playing, you could clearly see the SE label inside the sound hole. Of course, his playing was amplified and equalized, but he sounded great as usual!

acousticSE--thanks for the review! I'm thinking of getting one of those myself. I'm primarily an electric player, and my acoustic is a jumbo cutaway Larrivee that I've had for about twenty years now--it sounds great, but it's a huge armful compared to my electrics. The Lifeson SE seems like it'd be more comfortable. I'm not getting rid of the Larrivee, though...

Rumor has it that PRS donated one Alex Lifeson acoustic guitar to the RushCon 15 charity auction which takes place this Sunday in Los Angeles.

So I just left my LMS where this bad boy was in stock....

I'm impressed. As an electric player, the wideness of dreadnoughts always puts me off. This one was a great depth. Not too thin to where your tone is nasty, but not too deep to where you feel like you're playing the guitar case.

Acoustic tones were nice and focused. Didn't fill the room, but that's not what it's made to do. But sitting there playing it, it sounded really good. Didn't test the electronics.

Neck was a decent size. I little on the chunky side, but playable for my tastes. Setup was spot on.

My 7 year old didn't give me enough time to really test it or play with a pick, but I'm definitely going back and giving it another try.

Definitely could see it being my first acoustic (I currently don't have one)

I also played one of these on Friday at a local GC - I had just picked out a mandolin and was waiting for them to figure out how to squeeze in a free hardshell case for the same price like the competition (they figured it out).

Anyway, the Lifeson SE played very nicely, just as well as my SE Angelus Custom. The thinner body was a nice treat, and although it sounded a bit different from a thicker/bigger guitar, it wasn't super obvious. The Dao body wood looked pretty good.

I can see one of these in my future. Maybe not this year, but probably next year. Sooner if I run across an amazing deal.

Back