SE 245 discoveries

mrplavick

Hello - new to PRS and this forum. While I was researching SE 245/Bernies I got a lot of helpful info here so I thought I'd give back with my experience with some replacement parts. I used to own a 2001 Gibson Historic 57 reissue but sold it to pay my kids community college tuition. Wanting an affordable LP type replacement I finally picked up a mint 2011 SE 245 black. Beautifully crafted by World Musical Instruments.

I had a set of Dimarzio 36th Anniversary covered humbuckers on hand for just such an occasion. This SE had black pickup rings and double black exposed coils, so I wanted to put cream rings and switch tip on also. There seems to be questions about what rings will fit, but I went ahead and ordered the following from Allparts and they fit fine. Screws lined up and height was fine. Cream color is nice and matches the switch tip.

PC-0743-028 PC-0743-028 Humbucking Pickup Rings Flat Slanted Cream
SK-0643-028 SK-0643-028 Cream Switch Tips for Import Guitars

Something that surprised me was the stock pickups had "Santana" labels on the bottom. They sounded good but I was looking for something more vintage sounding. Also, the screws on the bridge pickup aren't lining up exactly on the treble strings, so I may investigate an F-spaced 36th.

But damn if this under-$600 rig isn't replacing a $2000 LP quite well.

Before and after pictures below. Now to start playing again.

p2679444670-5.jpg

p2679444672-5.jpg

Sweet looking guitar.

Must be “trick of the light” the fretboard looks really wide!

I couldn’t agree more. I have Duncan Antiquities in mine, but the results are probably similar...awesome! The next project is going to probably be an SE Santana, which is very similar to the SE245, and I’ll put the same pickups in it.

Welcome and congrats on the great deal!

Congrats. I put Seth Lover's in my SE and it sounds fab! :)

You won't be disappointed. Great score ! The mods look killer! I love black singlecuts too! Enjoy!

Back