School me on PRS Studio guitars.

matt3310

I have a chance to get a 2012 Studio with a trem. Killer deal. But I don't know much about these guitars. I think the narrow fields would be cool. Just need to know if its one I should buy. I don't need it. But I'm interested!
Its a whale blue 10 top.

I have a chance to get a 2012 Studio with a trem. Killer deal. But I don't know much about these guitars. I think the narrow fields would be cool. Just need to know if its one I should buy. I don't need it. But I'm interested!
Its a whale blue 10 top.
My buddy had a 2011 (I think) Studio and I played through it a few times on multiple amps. Personally, while I appreciate the uniqueness of the narrowfield pickups, I couldn't bring myself to like the sound (or the looks) of them. Just a little too bright to my ears...more like a strat sound, but not quite there. If you're into a bit more twang, and want something different, might be for you...not sure how good resale would be. Different strokes for different folks!

I had a 2011 for a couple of years. I really liked the guitar, but something about that neck just never allowed me to love it long term. As for the sounds; it's pretty versatile. I'd agree that there is a little brightness to the NF's. I always thought they sounded HB at 10, but the more you roll off the volume, the brighter (strat-ier) they got. I like the NF's enough to drop a set into a Santana. Love how they sound in that guitar. They made it a keeper (I had intended to part ways with it).

As for retail; I sold mine last March for more than I bought it for in 2014. Although, that has as much to do with GC's sometimes silly used pricing. YMMV.

Back