Scarf Joints on new CE24s

Why the decision for a scarf joint? Does it save time or money?

To carve a one piece neck with a tilt back headstock, they have to start with a large block of wood as the wood block has to be wide enough for both the headstock tilt and the neck heel joint, but then they end up carving out the majority of that wood because you don’t need it that wide for the neck itself. By going with a 3 piece neck, they can drastically reduce the amount of wood needed for a guitar, and guitar grade neck wood a’int cheap.

You would think it would be more work doing a scarf joint...for the time it takes to make sure that spot it as good and strong as can be..

It might be more work (although carving a one piece neck isn’t exactly a quick and easy process either), but scarfing saves a crap ton of wood that just goes to waste when making a one piece neck. The material savings offsets any additional labor needed (assuming there is any).

It might be more work (although carving a one piece neck isn’t exactly a quick and easy process either), but scarfing saves a crap ton of wood that just goes to waste when making a one piece neck. The material savings offsets any additional labor needed (assuming there is any).

So scarfed neck = eco-friendly

I just received my CE24 this morning. I can see and slightly feel the scarf joint, but it doesn't bother me one bit. This thing plays amazing!

I have a 2017 CE24 and I have a small seam that I can feel on the scarf joint... It's not affecting playing or anything but it's annoying me that I can feel it... It wasn't like that when I bought it and I keep my playing space at optimal humidity and temp, and it rarely leaves the house. If it gets worse I may contact PRS. As of now tho, I'll keep on playing.

Back