Scarf Joints on new CE24s

Peterrooter2k

Can you actually tell there is a scarf joint by looking?

I read a post on another site where a guy sold his beacuse he could see and feel where it was scarfed. I find that a bit hard to believe, bit wanted some thoughts and opinions here....

Last edited:
I’ve owned one and played a few. Typically you are able to see where the joint is. It’s wood so the only way you would not if is the grain of the wood is exactly the same and after it is finished it takes on the same color characteristics. Of course opaque finishes will hide the joint too.

As far as feel it, I gavent been able to. The entire S2 line has this same neck design.

I wouldn’t be concerned at all if that’s what’s holding you back. If anything, I like it because it reminds me that it was intentionally designed. :)

I’ve owned one and played a few. Typically you are able to see where the joint is. It’s wood so the only way you would if is the grain of the wood is exactly the same and after it is finished it takes on the same color characteristics.

As far as feel it, I gavent been able to. The entire S2 line has this same neck design.

I wouldn’t be concerned at all if that’s what’s holding you back. If anything, I like it because it reminds me that it was intentionally designed. :)

Thanks. It doesn't really bother me. I just wouldn't have thought someone would be able to feel the actual joint.....

You won’t feel it, but you may be able to see it if you don’t have an opaque finish on the neck. Otherwise, you’d never know.

Can you actually tell there is a scarf joint by looking?

I read a post on another site where a guy sold his beacuse he could see and feel where it was scarfed. I find that a bit hard to believe, bit wanted some thoughts and opinions here....

You can look at the back of the CE24 guitars on Sweetwater and get a feel for the look.

You can look at the back of the CE24 guitars on Sweetwater and get a feel for the look.

Thanks. Some you can tell and some not from those pics...

Looking at getting one but was a bit concerned from some of the comments I've read recently.

I can see the scarf on my S2 satin - ironically with an opaque black finish, but since there's no grain filler, I can see where the pattern changes. Can't feel a thing though. They clamp those things so tight when the scarf is glued, it's basically like a single piece of wood.

I've got a CE24 and Vela and I can see the scarf joint on both but it's completely smooth. Doesn't bother me at all.

I own a CE24, and as most have posted above:
  1. You can definitely see the scarf joint.
  2. You absolutely cannot feel the scarf joint.
There are only a few scenarios where I could possibly see a person being able to feel this joint:
  1. If a single neck somehow passed through quality control and wasn't finished properly... but this is unlikely. Not impossible, but unlikely.
  2. If the guitar was left out in the sun for hours, and the wood dried out (bone dry) and warped at the joint.
  3. If the guitar was left in a very humid environment for hours, and the wood swelled. Each part would swell differently.

Scarf joining is the strongest way to make a tilt-back headstock.

Here's shots of the two joints on my RLCE24. Remember it's a 3-piece neck. I can't feel them, nor do I care. With PRS level quality, any anti-scarf at this price point is just snobbery IMHO.

fO56Xea.jpg

X6cQKEl.jpg

IMHO, if someone claims they can feel the scarf joint, then either:

1. They have really sensitive touch and can feel the change in the grain (see @andy474x 's post), or
2. They have an overactive imagination, and because they can see it they have fooled themselves into "feeling" it

It’s far more likely that someone who can “feel” the scarf joint is seeing it and convincing themselves that they can feel it.

With the processes that PRS use, wood drying, humidity control, machining, finishing, lacquering etc. Any feel of a joint on the neck is so negligible that it’s more likely to be as @Ovibos said “snobbery”.

More than likely it is the psychology that it’s there!

As @JimmyDee says there are extenuating circumstances, however if a guitar was left in weather conditions that caused it harm, that can’t be blamed on its construction.

After all, there are guitars constructed using hide glues that can be taken apart with a hairdryer. It’s just common sense, and sensible use of materials.

You don’t hear people moaning that they can feel the joins in a 5 piece laminate neck! Or the join in their quilted maple top!:D

Taylor’s been using that construction on all their necks since the 90s, and it’s been a non-issue.

The join is created before the neck is machined. It’d be awfully hard to feel.

This thread prompted me to watch a tour of the S2 factory area. In some ways the S2 method of neck construction almost seems superior to the core method - stronger headstock angle, and much less wood removal after drying, which means less chance of the wood shifting as excess is removed. Plus it's much less wasteful. After having 2 of the scarfed S2 necks, I would have no concerns if they started doing core guitars that way as well.

Aaaaand now I'm going to go hide in a secret place, to avoid the uproar! :D

This thread prompted me to watch a tour of the S2 factory area. In some ways the S2 method of neck construction almost seems superior to the core method - stronger headstock angle, and much less wood removal after drying, which means less chance of the wood shifting as excess is removed. Plus it's much less wasteful. After having 2 of the scarfed S2 necks, I would have no concerns if they started doing core guitars that way as well.

Aaaaand now I'm going to go hide in a secret place, to avoid the uproar! :D
I’ve been informed of a group with picthforks and flaming torches, gathering in the Michigan area!o_O

Back