SAS models

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ
I had a very early SAS with McHumbuckers and a 3 way toggle/coil tap. I've seen pics of one with a 5 way blade also, are they the same pickups? Swamp ash studio - is that a 5708? Then the newest narrowfield version....has anyone played all of them? Which version do you like best?

edit: Oops, should've put this in core guitars

Last edited:
I've played them all & love the new SAS Studio, mostly due to it's versatility. The volume knob is very sensitive so you can dial in a bunch of great tones, from Stratty quack to Tele bite/punch, even fatter HB-type sounds. The 5708 screams in the bridge position, & the Narrowfields sound great at any volume & are very quiet, which is important to me. Here she is...

kgrhqvhje4e88eusnl7bptp.jpg

I had a very early SAS with McHumbuckers and a 3 way toggle/coil tap. I've seen pics of one with a 5 way blade also, are they the same pickups?
I believe when they switched to the blade pickups, they also changed to the "Swamp Ash Special" pickups as well, but I have no idea how those differ from McPickups.

I am partial to the bolt-on SASs and prefer the HSH 5-way because of the WF neck and the ability to change the pups. Mine now has 5708s and a Fralin as well as DGT frets.

IMG_0419-1.jpg

Last edited:
I am partial to the bolt-on SASs and prefer the HSH 5-way because of the WF neck and the ability to change the pups. Mine now has 5708s and a Fralin as well as DGT frets.

IMG_0419-1.jpg

YES : a really great one !!!

I've to mod mine hard to get all the possible sounds ! ... If I've had a blade switch ... ( Rio Grande pups : Halfbreed humbucker and single and bbq humbucker at bridge )

SASmod.JPG

Last edited:

IMG_0419-1.jpg
Natural, my all time favorite color for swampiness!

Are they not bolt on necks anymore?

Just got my first PRS - a SAS Narrowfield, in Scarlet Smokeburst.

I've played Fenders for years and years, then got a Gibson last year (the Alex Lifeson LP with Floyd Rose), but have always wanted a PRS.
And now I have one. It arrived last week, and it's beautiful.

sas.jpg

Just got my first PRS - a SAS Narrowfield, in Scarlet Smokeburst.

I've played Fenders for years and years, then got a Gibson last year (the Alex Lifeson LP with Floyd Rose), but have always wanted a PRS.
And now I have one. It arrived last week, and it's beautiful.

sas.jpg
The inlays look really sweet with that finish!

One poster showed a SA Studio, which does not have a bolt-on neck. All the SAS -Swamp Ash Specials have bolt-on necks.

Was it a PS? Interesting for sure...my SAS Studio/all the others I've seen are bolt-on.

I love the SASNF, but the (non-SAS) Studio I played, the 57/08 was overpowered by the Narrowfields. I'd love a SAS Studio if the HB was a 59/09 Squabbin or they did a low-wind version of the middle and neck pickups that still sounded great. I LOVE the 57/08 pair in my McCarty, so there's nothing wrong with that pickup, just doesn't match the NFs for output.

I love the SASNF, but the (non-SAS) Studio I played, the 57/08 was overpowered by the Narrowfields. I'd love a SAS Studio if the HB was a 59/09 Squabbin or they did a low-wind version of the middle and neck pickups that still sounded great. I LOVE the 57/08 pair in my McCarty, so there's nothing wrong with that pickup, just doesn't match the NFs for output.
I've heard a couple guys say that bout the studio. I played a non swamp once but hated the amp I was using so didn't get a feel for the guitar. I'd love to check out a swamp version & see if I feel that way. The swampy studio is probably what I'd feel most at home on.

Back