Santana se standard questions

Polar

Hello everyone,

Just purchased my first electric guitar and love this one,
Just a few quick questions for people who know much more then me,

How do I find what strings came on the guitar? I like the feel and size so would like to replace with the same.

Looking for a good case to fit the guitar but will not cost a fortune, looking at shipping to Australia.

Thanks

I also have the SE Santana, which was my first electric. Not sure which strings were on it at purchase but they did sound dead. Switched out to GHS boomers (so so sound, felt too flexible like spaghetti), Elixr next (didn't like the coating feel) and ended up with D'Addario NYXL (loved them). I should note that when I changed to the NYXL, the nut was swapped for a TUSK and went to 10 -46. The first set of NYXL's lasted 8 months, I really liked that.

They should come with 10s (10-46). The NYXLs are similar to the Ernie Ball Cobalts that I played for quite a while, and can confirm that they last a long time. They are also brighter than the average string, and also more abrasive in an almost weird way. If you’re new to playing guitar, I recommend a “softer” string like the Ernie Ball pure nickel or even Elixir nano web strings to give your fingers a chance to develop callouses comfortably.

And welcome!

My SE Santana came with 9 - 42's. Callouses were already there from playing acoustic.

Thanks everyone for your help

New question in regards to pickups,
What settings to people generally use? Is there a general wisdom on when to use neck/bridge/both pick ups?
Still playing around finding my sound with the electric

You just purchased the prs. Play with the stock pickups a while. You never know, you might really like them.

Thanks everyone for your help

New question in regards to pickups,
What settings to people generally use? Is there a general wisdom on when to use neck/bridge/both pick ups?
Still playing around finding my sound with the electric

I think it changes based on ones tastes. When I first started playing, I hated the sound of the neck pickup... it was always thick, kinda jazzy/bluesy, and loud. Meh. I was chasing the sound of a Strat so I hated that neck position. Nowadays, since I have a Strat now, I appreciate the humbuckers and rarely split or tap them... I mainly play on the neck position or both unless there’s something specific with the solo that requires the bridge. I bet if I check all of my guitars right now, most are set in the middle position and maybe one is on the neck...

You just purchased the prs. Play with the stock pickups a while. You never know, you might really like them.

I think he meant which pickup(s) should he choose that are in his guitar. Don't think he was looking for replacements just yet.

As for which pickups? Man, it's all song and sound dependent. Bridge pickup should get brighter, a little crunchier. Neck pickup should be a little warmer, smoother. Playing Jazz? Might stick with the neck pickup a lot more often. Playing Country, bridge pickup for a lot of stuff. Rock and Blues are all over the place as well. Playing in the middle gets you a whole new palette of sounds!

I know as a beginner, not playing very loud, I tended to play on the neck pickup a lot. I liked a little bit more warmth and softness to my sound. But, as times have changed, I find I am all over the place.

I’m after a little more advice
I am getting a fair bit of string buzz fretting the bottom e around the 5th fret.
I’m pretty sure it’s the string hitting another fret as I’m playing.
Is this a set up issue, and is it common?
Thanks

Common? Maybe.... But, not really acceptable.

It could be a number of things. Could be one high fret. Could be one low fret. Could also simply need a touch of adjustment to the relief.

Best advice is find a guitar repair technician in your vicinity and get the guitar looked at. If you bought it new, maybe the store where you purchased it does service or setups?

Last edited:
Common? Maybe.... But, not really acceptable.

It could be a number of things. Could be one high fret. Could be one low fret. Could also simply need a touch of adjustment to the relief.

Best advice is find a guitar repair technician in your vicinity and get the guitar looked at. If you bought it new, maybe the store where you purchased it does service or setups?

^^^ what he said.
especially if you're new to it. after a while you can learn basic setup yourself.
Even then, I take any newly aquired GibsonUSA to my tech for fretwork (I like them round, not school bus style), and a good setup. After he's done, they play great.
For PRS I can do my own setup since the frets and hardware are already great.

Back