Santana pic of the day

I'm not quite ready for this to end. While we wait for someone else to come by, how about the display 25th from Experience 2009.
CK_053Dragon25thAnniversaryEdition.JPG

Looks like a Howard Leese Blue Dragon! SICK!!!!

I did sorta hope we would make it past page 8...I must have over-estimated the fans of the model, the best guitar PRS makes IMO. Paul got a lot right the first time.

What is it about the Santana models that does it for you? I absolutely love the early CU24s and have been playing them for as long as I can remember. Of course I always think of those as the first designs but that's not the case. What does the Santana model do for me that a CU24 won't? I only ask the question because I love the look of the Santana's but I've never played one. 24 frets on a shorter scale seems like an odd concept but maybe I've missing out. I'd love to hear about what makes the Santana stand out.

What is it about the Santana models that does it for you? I absolutely love the early CU24s and have been playing them for as long as I can remember. Of course I always think of those as the first designs but that's not the case. What does the Santana model do for me that a CU24 won't? I only ask the question because I love the look of the Santana's but I've never played one. 24 frets on a shorter scale seems like an odd concept but maybe I've missing out. I'd love to hear about what makes the Santana stand out.

I can tell you that it certainly is possible to run out some room on the upper frets, I'm pretty good up until around frets 17-18, but don't feel a lot of need to venture further anyway. The Santana in addition to having a shorter scale has a thicker body, fatter neck and longer neck heel. I feel all of these factors contribute bit more harmonic richness and fuller tone with more sustain than a typical Cu24 (JMO ).
I think it the overall tone is more of a nod to some of the great mahogany/maple/rosewood instruments of yesteryear than a custom, but it still has a great lows and highs combined with a fat open mid-range
The big brass trem, big frets and 11.5" fb radius certainly give my hands the most comfortable feeling guitar in the current PRS lineup.

There is nothing a Santana can't do that a Cu24 won't do necessarily, but for me the Santana is a lot more fun, if that makes any sense. Everything just feels and sounds right.

Edit: I'll also say that I am also contemplating a 594 with some Santana features (trem, 6100s and flatter fb radius). I believe a guitar like that would also really float my boat. But then again a DC 22 with trem would too. :)

Last edited:
I can tell you that it certainly is possible to run out some room on the upper frets, I'm pretty good up until around frets 17-18, but don't feel a lot of need to venture further anyway. The Santana in addition to having a shorter scale has a thicker body, fatter neck and longer neck heel. I feel all of these factors contribute bit more harmonic richness and fuller tone with more sustain than a typical Cu24 (JMO ).
I think it the overall tone is more of a nod to some of the great mahogany/maple/rosewood instruments of yesteryear than a custom, but it still has a great lows and highs combined with a fat open mid-range
The big brass trem, big frets and 11.5" fb radius certainly give my hands the most comfortable feeling guitar in the current PRS lineup.

There is nothing a Santana can't do that a Cu24 won't do necessarily, but for me the Santana is a lot more fun, if that makes any sense. Everything just feels and sounds right.

Edit: I'll also say that I am also contemplating a 594 with some Santana features (trem, 6100s and flatter fb radius). I believe a guitar like that would also really float my boat. But then again a DC 22 with trem would too. :)

Thanks for the reply. It certainly sounds like a model worth checking out. Maybe it's exactly what I need.

I finally joined the club. Vintage Yellow, Braz board.

I'm sorry I missed out for so long. Got this guitar, a near mint 2004 Santana II and immediately started gigging with it.

The way it hangs, the neck shape, the scale, the sound, the overall feel. Like it was made for me.

Here are 2 pics.

My III w/ dragon 2's.
Favorite in the thread so far is the astounding rosewood top. That is just spectacular.
For people wondering why there is such a cult surrounding these guitars--
The Santana model is essentially the original PRS. Paul's first guitars were basically les paul junior DC clones. Flat tops at first. Then he started doing the body carve. Carlos got involved with Paul early and, thus, you have the Santana name attached but in reality, it's just the original PRS shape and really the guitar that started everything. The combination of a very resonant body, and short scale length give a very fat, warm sound. And of course, you have the mystique of the primary endorser who really makes this guitar shine. This guitar is all class, and all musicality. It's soft edges, and traditional lines have a pleasing effect on the senses. The more symmetric body and head stock shape seem to say "balance".
Why they discontinued the Santana III, I don't know. And why they don't use the Santana body style as a standard core model, I have no idea. All I can guess is they want to keep it special. I really like the more utilitarian III model and find it to be a great value. I hope they bring it back some day. One thing is for sure, there has always been consistent demand for this model, and likely always will be. These guitars will go down in history as classics, from the III right on up to the private stock.

Last edited:
Back