Santana pic of the day

Its getting late in the day so I'll finish off the tale of my Santanas. While I was in the vault to build the rosewood Santana, I took some time to browse the more eclectic maple tops. I found one that was breath taking, but wasn't sure how to finish it. I took photos home, printed them out life size and started to draw on the with pencil crayons. I came up with something I thought would be cool if the paint room could do it. I took made another print and took it and my pencils to see Brent and showed him what I wanted to do. He shot a photo of the drawing and sent it off to Paul Miles to ponder. A few days later Paul says they have some nice samples of a new finish. It wasn't quite what I wanted to do without sitting down with Paul, so the top went to a different home and a few people at Experience were introduced to Dragon's Breath and decided they liked it.

A few months pass and I still want to do something with an erratic maple top, so when Brent heads back to the vault I have him look for a certain something. He sends me a few photos. I really like one of them, so shoot it to Mrs and tell her what I'm thinking...and we load up the crayons to visit the vault. I talked with Paul Miles for quite a while about different finish options and at the time we didn't think we could get quite what I wanted to achieve (I'll revisit it with him again one of these days). But Mrs. didn't want anyone else to have that top, so we went with plan D or E or something like that. You've seen it before.
CK_845Top.jpeg

rear view
CK_829BackNeckFigureAAA.jpeg

You may have heard a noise. That was my jaw hitting the floor.
May I ask another picture of the neck? I see some much brighter wood in the first picture.

Sure can. That brighter wood is a big part of what makes this guitar so special. A few others have built with cocobolo necks since.
Here is a view of the full neck
CK_841NeckSapView.jpeg

A close up of the heel.
CK_844HealSapDetail.jpeg

:D thank you!

Ugh.. in the midst of uploading pics and typing I see that Peter has posted already today... but I'm gonna go anyway.

Here's my KL33. If my '93 CE that I purchased new is like my right arm, then this surely has to be my left.

I haven't been able to put this guitar down for the two years I have had it (except once for a week during my "Just Maintain" thread period) and it's getting worked ! This guitar is all about the tone. Like a Flying V or an Explorer with a wanger.

It's from the 2008 limited run of 100, all Korina, ebony knobbed wings, limited edition 1980 spec MannMade un-plated trem, no tone knob, kill switch, and a wonky set of pick up rings for the Lace Silver and Mira treble. It's (accidentally) wired for an out-of-phase middle position that cuts heads off when played with distortion. This is the guitar I use for lead playing and projects where I want to tone-down the PRS factor and roll undercover.

Yeah, it looks haggard. It's supposed to. I've always wanted a pre-factory guitar like Paul used to make himself but can't afford one or what it would cost to get one done by Private Stock, so I had to DIY one. Instead of my usual Bourgeois on a Budget routine I'm Slummin' with a Silver Spoon here. All wear is honest and real and not intentionally relic-ed.

Only one "action shot, a still taken from a fuzzy video. No idea how I got so fat and bald.

Last edited:
Would you settle for the making of a Santana?
CK_296LDrawsTopFromBrent.jpeg

Sharing with the master.
Notice even more samples from our finish discussion.
CK_325LPaulSmithFromBrent.jpeg

The final choices.
CK_12Final3850PartsAAA.JPG

I love "L-Boogie's" (not to be confused with Kerry's wife but I didn't wanna nickname her Mrs. Buster, Mrs. PeteSays, or anything with vein in it.) face in that pic with Paul. She's like the Gloria Steinem of Private Stock. I'm gonna need her, DFD, Tina, and Paul Miles to be in the room if I can ever swing a PS.

I love "L-Boogie's" (not to be confused with Kerry's wife but I didn't wanna nickname her Mrs. Buster, Mrs. PeteSays, or anything with vein in it.) face in that pic with Paul. She's like the Gloria Steinem of Private Stock. I'm gonna need her, DFD, Tina, and Paul Miles to be in the room if I can ever swing a PS.
She accepts all invitations to the vault with friends.
And L can boogie
CK_1994ELDance.JPG

And it must be said: Sergio's KL33 is one of my favourite guitars. A great balance of style, personalization and life.

Aww...Thanks buddy. You can have it when I die.

Y'all will have to excuse veinbuster and I for making out on the forum. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Back