Santan SE upgrades

SRP67

Santana SE upgrades

I am replacing the stock tuners with grover locking tuners 306c I also want to replace the pots are they universal?Should I have guitar tech replace pots or is something you can do on your own?Lastly what did you replace your stock pups with?Thanks guys!

Last edited:
A friend of mine swapped them with a WRS Goodwoods set. I'm not sure what he did with the pots. But they were also swapped out.

It's pretty glorious now.

Received and installed Grover 406c locking tuners easy to install and if you get the self locking type don't restring it like you normally would by wrapping the strings around the post just put the string thru the hole turn a little bit not even a full turn and it will lock, tune to pitch and cut excess string, best $50 I've spent!!

Put Seymour Duncan's in my Santana SE. JB in the bridge and Jazz in the neck. I had them wired for coil splitting with push/pull knobs. Amazing! Love, Love the control and tone. Very versatile with the ability to go single coil in the bridge. My builder said the Korean pots are very cheap and the ones he put in were only 9 bucks esch. Big difference. Recommend highly

Hello,
I have a 2013 SE Santana. Was the upgrade to the Grover 406C's clean? In otherwords did you have to drill the head stock tuner holes bigger, modify it, or drill new tuner mounting holes for the screws?

Hello,
I have a 2013 SE Santana. Was the upgrade to the Grover 406C's clean? In otherwords did you have to drill the head stock tuner holes bigger, modify it, or drill new tuner mounting holes for the screws?

No mods necessary for those tuners, they drop right in. But I will add, not always necessary, if you're having problems with your guitar stating in tune, make sure your nut is properly slotted for the size of strings you're using. SE's come slotted for 9's, so if you're using 10's or bigger and haven't had the nut slots widened, locking tuners won't make a difference!

Here is an update to this thread and provide some feedback/knowledge I have learned over the past couple months. The Grover 406C locking tuners drop directly into the PRS Santana SE without anything but a screwdriver and wrench needed. They work really well.
The PRS SE bridge was "creaking and stiffness" was finally diagnosed and fixed. I figured I had nothing to loose so despite the advice from the PRS help page I decided to monkey around with the bridge. I figured it could n't get any worse as I was going to have to replace it anyway. First I thought the block was rubbing the side of the body as the nontremelo arm side was very close to the routed out side. I placed a piece of paper between the block and the body but did not have any movement from the paper with the tremelo use. That left only the 6 bridge screws as contact points making the noise. The PRS help folks said don't mess with this if you don't know what you are doing but as I mentioned above it couldn't get any worse. Eventually I noticed that the screws were not level. I leveled the 2 that were off with to the 4 that were and guess what. The creaking went away and now the thing floats and tremelos like it should. I don't know what the height should be for these screws but it works well enough now and no noise.

I was wondering if anyone knew the Schaller locking tuner model number that where a direct retro fit for the PRS SE models?? I like the Grovers but would really like to have more options.

Back