S2 Standard 24 85/15s

nkr501

I just got an S2 Standard on sale fore President's day. I love everything about it, except for the 85/15 S pickups. It feels great, the action is quick, and its just all around a comfortable guitar. The pickups to me are kind of muddy and way too thick. I don't know if its my amp that I'm using (Fender 57 Custom Deluxe reissue) that doesn't want to play nicely, or if its the pickups themselves (especially the neck). They don't take my tube screamer very well, and its probably just because it needs tweaking but my custom envelop filter doesn't respond well to them (probably because it was set up with a Strat and there are differences in output).

My strat is has amazing tone through the amp, which makes me wonder if the amp is to blame or if its the pickups. Anyone else have any issues or any input they can throw in.

I just got an S2 Standard on sale fore President's day. I love everything about it, except for the 85/15 S pickups. It feels great, the action is quick, and its just all around a comfortable guitar. The pickups to me are kind of muddy and way too thick. I don't know if its my amp that I'm using (Fender 57 Custom Deluxe reissue) that doesn't want to play nicely, or if its the pickups themselves (especially the neck). They don't take my tube screamer very well, and its probably just because it needs tweaking but my custom envelop filter doesn't respond well to them (probably because it was set up with a Strat and there are differences in output).

My strat is has amazing tone through the amp, which makes me wonder if the amp is to blame or if its the pickups. Anyone else have any issues or any input they can throw in.
Do you have other humbucker guitars?

Cause if your whole setup is dialed in for the Strat, then it's not the pickups. Different guitars need different settings, especially going from single coils to humbuckers. I'd try dialing it in from scratch, as you're getting more gain and less treble from the PRS.

Before giving up on pickups, adjust the height. Lots of difference to be found there.

The 85/15's are not as trebly as Strat pickups and if your ear is attuned to, and likes, the Strat sound, the 85/15's will sound off at first. Ovibos is also right in saying you need to start again when dialling in a tone for the S2.

I have been running some tone tests across a couple of amps with my main guitars and the Strat always plays very differently to my PRS guitars. The only common thing I learned was not to dial the same settings in for all of them and expect them all to like it :)

check the pickup height is set correctly following the guide on prs site
if you dont yet have one a string action gauge from amazon is cheap, and makes setup really quick

id play with amp then, and then customise pickup height if necessary

i also have an S2 and a strat and have to change the amp settings a little.

What sort of tones do you want ? What type of music do you play ? My S2 Singlecut came with S7 pickups that I didn't care for so it now has Bare Knuckle Rebel Yells and is a killer rock guitar. The RY's are bright without being ice-picky, very punchy sounding. They clean up well and are very versatile.

What sort of tones do you want ? What type of music do you play ? My S2 Singlecut came with S7 pickups that I didn't care for so it now has Bare Knuckle Rebel Yells and is a killer rock guitar. The RY's are bright without being ice-picky, very punchy sounding. They clean up well and are very versatile.

I like a really smooth tube screamer push into my amp. One of the best setups I've had was a SD Jazz/JB set with dual TS-9s stacked, and it was a great tone for my style. I play more on the bluesier side of things and throw some classic rock and funk out there sometimes. These pickups the way they are now sound ok clean, just not with a tube screamer or even my OCD for that matter. I ordered some P-Rails the other day to try out and see if I like them, but I'll adjust the height of these pickups to see if they can get closer to what I like. If I can, then the P-Rails can go into my Franken-Peavey that needs new pickups and wiring anyway.

And thanks to the other replies! I've messed around with the amp's tone settings, and the tone controls on my dirt boxes and the neck pickup still didn't quite get where I wanted it to. Its better, so like I just said I'll try messing with the height like some of you suggested. Unfortunately, for such an expensive amp there is only one tone control so if my pickups aren't exactly where I like them, I can't do a lot of tweaking on the amp side of things. Just mic volume, instrument volume, and tone.

I like a really smooth tube screamer push into my amp. One of the best setups I've had was a SD Jazz/JB set with dual TS-9s stacked, and it was a great tone for my style. I play more on the bluesier side of things and throw some classic rock and funk out there sometimes. These pickups the way they are now sound ok clean, just not with a tube screamer or even my OCD for that matter. I ordered some P-Rails the other day to try out and see if I like them, but I'll adjust the height of these pickups to see if they can get closer to what I like. If I can, then the P-Rails can go into my Franken-Peavey that needs new pickups and wiring anyway.

And thanks to the other replies! I've messed around with the amp's tone settings, and the tone controls on my dirt boxes and the neck pickup still didn't quite get where I wanted it to. Its better, so like I just said I'll try messing with the height like some of you suggested. Unfortunately, for such an expensive amp there is only one tone control so if my pickups aren't exactly where I like them, I can't do a lot of tweaking on the amp side of things. Just mic volume, instrument volume, and tone.
If the tone settings on the amp are limiting, maybe try a graphic EQ pedal. That's a ~$50 experiment that requires no soldering. :)

If the tone settings on the amp are limiting, maybe try a graphic EQ pedal. That's a ~$50 experiment that requires no soldering. :)

Good call! I also noticed that I never adjusted my tone on my reverb pedal either o_O that brightened it up a lot and its sounding a bit better. Where do you typically add your EQ in the signal chain and do you have any recommendations for any to check out?

Good call! I also noticed that I never adjusted my tone on my reverb pedal either o_O that brightened it up a lot and its sounding a bit better. Where do you typically add your EQ in the signal chain and do you have any recommendations for any to check out?
Near the beginning so it shapes the sound of the guitar before it hits most of the effects. I'm thinking it's taking the place of a bright switch or presence in your setup.

I have a 30 year old Boss GE-7 which is a pretty standard option. Mine does hiss when you adjust the level slider tho, which I think is fixed in newer ones (and mods).

I bet lots of people here have recos too.

If you adjust the pickups, lower the body, check it, and then raise the pole pieces if necessary.

I couldn't get what I wanted from the pickups and ended up putting the P-Rails into it. They are ok, definitely not the end all of pickups. I think they sound better than stock, by all means (only my personal opinion). I think I'm going with duncan 59s and putting the P-Rails into my project peavey.

You guys are awesome though, and this is one of the best feeling guitars that I've had the pleasure of owning. Definitely having fun customizing it to my liking.

Near the beginning so it shapes the sound of the guitar before it hits most of the effects. I'm thinking it's taking the place of a bright switch or presence in your setup.

I have a 30 year old Boss GE-7 which is a pretty standard option.

I also have an original late 80's GE-7. It's the only pedal I can't live without, and it's on all the time - that is how I shape my sound. However, it's only in my effects loop - never liked it in front of the amp. I have it first in the effects loop, followed by chorus (if ever used) and then delay.

So, tweak away with the tone controls. Funny enough, when I got my guitar with the 85/15 S pups, I found them too bright when overdriven. Go figure! :cool:

Last edited:
Back