S2 Singlecut with weird sounding G string

Tom310

Just bought a new S2 Singlecut and the 3rd string sounds a little dead. I raised the pole pieces on both pickups for the 3rd string and that helped a lot, but it still sounds a little dead with no sustain to me. Anyone have any ideas or experiences with this issue? Also, does anyone know if you can get replacements for the individual saddles for the adjustable tail piece?

Last edited:
Have you put a fresh set of strings on? That's the very first thing to try -- they could be worn or maybe that G string is just bad. Bad strings don't happen all that often, but bad ones can behave very weirdly.

Have you put a fresh set of strings on? That's the very first thing to try -- they could be worn or maybe that G string is just bad. Bad strings don't happen all that often, but bad ones can behave very weirdly.
Thanks for the suggetion Herr Squid, but I did replace the strings with PRS 10s. Played open the string sounds fine, but around the 3rd to 5th frets is just sounds a little muted to me. Maybe it's just the way the guitar sounds and I'm just not used to it yet being this is a new guitar to me. When I raised the P/U pole pieces for that string on both P/Us the tone did get a little brighter and the string does sound better and closer to the others now. Thanks again for the suggestion.

whatever you do though, don't google "bad G string."

incidentally, a guitar forum is about the only place you can go and say "my G string sounds weird and dead when I pluck it" and not be thought of as weird.

A bunch of Questions for you. Is the guitar new, or new to you/ How long was it in the music store, and was it shipped to you. If it was, did it sit in a truck in hot weather? If the string is only funny from frets 3 to 5, it can`t be the saddle. If it was the saddle it would just be funny all the way. Check the neck adjustment. It might need a very subtle adjustment to be spot on.My SAS got funny, and needed its first neck adjustment in 11 years. THe adjustment was about 2 mm left to right with a truss rod wrench. That's much less than a quarter turn. Now it`s perfect again. if the guitar is just new to you, I would have it set up by a professional luthier.

...Played open the string sounds fine, but around the 3rd to 5th frets is just sounds a little muted to me...
There are a couple things to check. The neck relief (like dogrocketp says), the 5th fret is too high (not likely on a PRS, but fits the symptoms well), and a couple of dead spots on the neck (also not likely on frets so close to the nut).

You mentioned that you adjusted the pole pieces and it sounded better - so that would be the sound plugged in.

How does it sound unplugged? If the string sounds muted when fretted when played acoustically, then you have an inherent physical set-up issue, and that should probably be fixed.

yeah.jpg

whatever you do though, don't google "bad G string."

incidentally, a guitar forum is about the only place you can go and say "my G string sounds weird and dead when I pluck it" and not be thought of as weird.

I totally agree!! :D

You mentioned that you adjusted the pole pieces and it sounded better - so that would be the sound plugged in.

How does it sound unplugged? If the string sounds muted when fretted when played acoustically, then you have an inherent physical set-up issue, and that should probably be fixed.

Yeah, playing it unplugged the 3rd string just sounds like it doesn't ring out like the other strings. I've put new strings on it and to me the 3rd string still sounds muted when I play the notes from the 3rd fret up. No buzzing, they notes just seem to fade very quickly, quicker than the other strings with no sustain.

A bunch of Questions for you. Is the guitar new, or new to you/ How long was it in the music store, and was it shipped to you. If it was, did it sit in a truck in hot weather? If the string is only funny from frets 3 to 5, it can`t be the saddle. If it was the saddle it would just be funny all the way. Check the neck adjustment. It might need a very subtle adjustment to be spot on.My SAS got funny, and needed its first neck adjustment in 11 years. THe adjustment was about 2 mm left to right with a truss rod wrench. That's much less than a quarter turn. Now it`s perfect again. if the guitar is just new to you, I would have it set up by a professional luthier.

The guitar is brand new and was purchased at a local shop. As far as I know it was delivered right away from their PRS distributor/rep. I think I'll take it back in and at least get a second opinion on this issue. They are very familiar with PRS guitars and have seen a lot more of them than I have, since this is my first PRS. Thanks to all for the suggestions and info! It's much appreciated.

I've had strings that were DOA right out of the package. For me it's usually the G string. I would go buy a single string and try that first.

I've had strings that were DOA right out of the package. For me it's usually the G string. I would go buy a single string and try that first.

Took it back in the shop where I purchased it and the guitar tech filed the nut and saddle ever so slightly and that made a big difference. Really improved the sound and sustain of the 3rd string. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice!

Took it back in the shop where I purchased it and the guitar tech filed the nut and saddle ever so slightly and that made a big difference. Really improved the sound and sustain of the 3rd string. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice!

Nice! Happy ending!

Back