S2 Singlecut vs. Singlecut Standard?

bigcohoona

big~C
Hey all,

Having just purchased a S2 Vela, I'm interested in maybe acquiring another. I'm looking at the S2 Singlecut and Singlecut Standard, S2 22 Custom & 22 Standard.

My first thought is going with either the Singlecut or Singlecut Standard for the dual coil tap... what versatility in that guitar!

Would love to hear your thoughts on:

1. Tone differences with the Maple Cap vs. all Hog.
2. Playing differences or Pros / Cons of the Trem design vs. Hardtail
3. What would be a better strummer? (I primarily play acoustic so my electric playing is more rhythm and chording)

Thanks in advance for the help! Wish I lived nearer to ... well, to anything lol! I have to let youtube and forums be my ears somewhat.

I play very little distortion and what I do use I usually want it to be a "nice" distorted sound for lack of better terminology.

big~C

ice_blue_firemist.jpg

I have the S2 Singlecut Standard, but have also played the maple topped version. The versatility is pretty darn great. To answer your question #1, I find the all-mahogany version fuller sounding and a bit dark compared to the maple cap, which has a nice snappy tone to it. I liked the #7 pickups on the maple top version at the guitar store, but they weren't a good match for the Standard and my rig. They were too dark and dull sounding for my application, so I replaced them with Suhr Thornbuckers and the guitar is a tone beast now. A lot of guys like the #7 pickups though, and they're good pickups, but I think they're better suited to the maple top guitars.

For #2, I think the floating trem makes bends feel a little easier, but you have the issue of dealing with tuning the floating trem. They can be a little finicky, but they're pretty awesome when set up well.

For #3, you might like the Singlecut shapes a little better as an acoustic guy. Their bodies are also a little bit thicker than the double cuts. I could see the Vela and the Starla making great strummin' guitars since their pickups are designed to be bright and clear sounding.

I have a maple-topped S2 Singlecut- in over 50 years of owning and playing around 40+ guitars- both acoustic and electric, I find the S2 that I received to be the most versatile guitar I have experienced. I consider it to be a $3000 guitar for half that price. Not counting my own builds, at present, my go-to guitars are that S2 and a Robert Cray Strat that I necked with an ebony fretboard and will soon have a Mann "Fat" hardtail bridge. I hate tremolos- the closest I come to liking one is the Bigsby. Mann and PRS have apparently been able to redesign the "6 screw Vintage Fender" style to avoid most of the tuning issues. They did something that was patentable.

Perfect advice! Thanks.

Man, I wish they had that "ice blue" color on the 22 Custom! :D

The shape isn't such a concern to me as the overall tone. The #7's (especially coil tapped) can give me a clear enough tone for good strumming I think and I had come to the same possible conclusion that they sound a little clearer on the Maple capped (which wood tone-wise makes sense).

Thanks also "Lefty" for your thoughts on the S2 Singlecut. So the question now is "to Trem or not to Trem" :D

I really liked the Trem system on the Tremonti SE I sent back, wonderfully easy to raise/lower the strings, to intonate, and for palming... one of the most comfortable I've tried (and that was the SE!).

Thanks again! Have any of you seen the "Whale Blue" version of the S2 Singlecut in person?

Any further thoughts truly appreciated!

you could consider the s2 singlecut semi hollow.
It has a little more accoustic edge to it. especially if you do strumming and chording. The coiltaps are also very usefull.
good luck:biggrin:

you could consider the s2 singlecut semi hollow.
It has a little more accoustic edge to it. especially if you do strumming and chording. The coiltaps are also very usefull.
good luck:biggrin:

Good idea. The Semi's never seem to give me the clear tone I need for the type of tapping I do. I primarily use Taylor Acoustics and have a pretty good setup for those.

I'm wondering what would happen if I put a S2 #7 in my Vela's Bridge? :D

I find the all-mahogany version fuller sounding and a bit dark compared to the maple cap, which has a nice snappy tone to it. I liked the #7 pickups on the maple top version at the guitar store, but they weren't a good match for the Standard and my rig. They were too dark and dull sounding for my application, so I replaced them with Suhr Thornbuckers and the guitar is a tone beast now. A lot of guys like the #7 pickups though, and they're good pickups, but I think they're better suited to the maple top guitars.

I own both an S2 Standard 22 and S2 Custom 22 Semi-hollow. I agree with the post above. While I like the #7s in both, I prefer them in the Cu22. The Standard is rounder/darker sounding with a softer attack. In the Cu22 SH, they are more airy, chimey, and have more clarity for chord work etc....a little snappier attack as mentioned too. Rolling the tone down on the Cu22 SH gets me a nice woody, acoustic tone as well. I can't get those tones on the Standard. Good luck!

I own both an S2 Standard 22 and S2 Custom 22 Semi-hollow. I agree with the post above. While I like the #7s in both, I prefer them in the Cu22. The Standard is rounder/darker sounding with a softer attack. In the Cu22 SH, they are more airy, chimey, and have more clarity for chord work etc....a little snappier attack as mentioned too. Rolling the tone down on the Cu22 SH gets me a nice woody, acoustic tone as well. I can't get those tones on the Standard. Good luck!

They do a pretty good job of hiding it on the PRS video's :) You can still tell the attack is quicker and there's is more chime and air in both the maple capped Singlecut and Cu22. They both come in blue :D

Any thoughts on palming / versatility of the Trem, and if you would miss the tones of the SC double coil-tap enough to forego the Trem?

How much sustain difference do you think there is between the Singlecut and Cu22?

Thanks again everyone! Great Forum!

~C

They do a pretty good job of hiding it on the PRS video's :) You can still tell the attack is quicker and there's is more chime and air in both the maple capped Singlecut and Cu22. They both come in blue :D

Any thoughts on palming / versatility of the Trem, and if you would miss the tones of the SC double coil-tap enough to forego the Trem?

How much sustain difference do you think there is between the Singlecut and Cu22?

Thanks again everyone! Great Forum!

~C

Naturally, they dial in the amp perfectly for the guitar they're demoing. ;) In comparison to my other six electrics, I had to eq the amp much brighter for the S2 Singlecut Standard with #7s. That just doesn't work for me as much as I switch guitars around. I got the airiness back with the replacement pickups and still have the bigness of the mahogany.

A semi will always have a softer attack than a solid.

I've always gotten along with both bridges, but I've read of people not liking the floating trem because they're heavy handed and accidentally palm it out of tune.

I find the dual splits handy, but not revelatory. They're more useful for me at home than in the band mix.

Sustain wise, probably not huge, but I'm not much of a sustain fanatic. My S2SS sustains better than anything else I've owned, however. Maybe it's the design. Maybe I got a great hunk of wood. The notes hang out there and can bloom to musical feedback at reasonable volumes.

Well, I've decided that the beautiful and stunning Vela is going back.

I just can't get this amazing ax to pull off the sustain and overall tone I need for both tapping and finger work... I can't tell you how beautiful this ice blue with the brass appointments are. It is hands down the most attractive guitar I've owned. Simple, unique, etc. etc.

That being said, I think the S2 Singlecut will be her replacement ... how hot are the #7's?

The attack on the both Vela pups is almost like playing a Redwood or Cedar topped acoustic.. it hits max too quick for what I normally play.

Thanks again for the help... I'm normally drawn to the transparent maple tops, but am thinking the antique white will be the overall winner for me :D

~C

Last edited:
Thanks Garrett.

I've played the SE 245's, Any idea how they are differ from those? In your previous post you mentioned an "S2SS", what model of S2 is that?

Don't know a lot about the SE 245 pickups, but I'd guess they're not too far off; in the realm of PAF tones.

I was just being too lazy to write out S2 Singlecut Standard again. You'll notice we use a fair bit of shorthand around here. It's kind of like a second language.

Actually, we normally would call a Singlecut an SC. So I guess the S2 Singlecut Standard should be S2SCS, lol.

Lol! I'm an USAF Capt, so I personally appreciate any and all acronym bandwagons :D It was the "standard" that through me.. I thought it was some single pup S2 that I'd not found yet.. a PRS S2 HSS or HSH would be awesome.... S3? :)

I just got rid of a 24.5 scale SC stripped 58. I personally liked my 25 scale CE and CU 22s better. The SC had a deeper sound ,Les Paul like.
i like the PRS original sound.

I agree the 25" scale is perfect! I'm hoping the maple cap and the #7 pups give it a bright enough tone.

The SE Tremonti was almost bright enough, if it had the same coil tap options as the S2 I would have kept it. They should make an SE Tremonti with Coil Tap for an extra $100.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

After listening to about 50 hours of youtube demo's from Sweetwater, PRS, NAMM, and anywhere else, and reading and re-reading everyone's thoughts here, the Singlecut prevailed! I was surprised at how few demo's there actually were compared to some of the others.

The higher top end from the Maple will get me somewhat closer to the Vela I sent back but still retain the milder attack I need. You can almost get that similar phased out tone the D-Coil had as well with either the HS or the SH selection (not sure which one it was). It's not the same as the Vela but it's close enough to tweak it for a great strummer. The coil split on the Custom 22 seemed just a tad thin for what I want now, but is probably more capable of pulling off a Tele-esque tone, so I'll settle for the Fender-ish one of the SC, lol. I think the Custom 22 will be my next one though, having both would be a great tonal arsenal.

The idea of the stoptail being a core piece also appealed to me.

So here's the unveiling (I love how Sweetwater let's you see and pick the exact model you want).

Thanks again for all the thoughts, it was a lot of help. (I'm pretty sure I read "O'l Lefty's" review on Sweetwater's website :D )

11059878_10206300728550359_3088432418218586030_n.jpg
11825095_10206300728630361_4277086739622169233_n.jpg
11202970_10206300729110373_6165203306697696690_n.jpg

Last edited:

Well, she just arrived this morning and I'm going to force myself to give a quick update on JUST-HOW-AMAZING this guitar is! Could not be happier with this baby!

Thanks everyone for all the input, you can read my saga of an interview under the Whale Blue S2 Singlecut on Sweetwater's website when they put it up.

As soon as I think I've found one incredible tone I find one I like better, this is one sonic monster who can sing soprano! Thanks again! ... and now back to it!

big~C

11866499_10206300730150399_3155934522082809621_n.jpg

Back