S2 Pickups '#7' vs '#7 S'

Dymeter

Hey guys

New to PRS guitars, planning to buy my first one after years of playing studentgrade guitars

Im shooting for the S2 Singlecut Satin in tobacco burst.

I have my choice of a 2017 model or a brand new 2018 model.

As far as I can see the only difference on the spec sheet is the pickups

One has the '#7', and the other has the '#7 S'

I tried to research the subject but came out a bit blank

What is the difference between them if there is one?

In the case of the S2 #7s, they are Korean made pickups regardless of the year guitar. PRS added the "S" moniker to their import pickups in 2018 (I think - may have been sooner with the SEs). I have a couple older S2s with #7s and they are import pickups.

In the case of the S2 #7s, they are Korean made pickups regardless of the year guitar. PRS added the "S" moniker to their import pickups in 2018 (I think - may have been sooner with the SEs). I have a couple older S2s with #7s and they are import pickups.
On the website the 2018 model sais that it has the #7 pickups
The 2019 model sais that it has the #7 S Pickups
I understand that the S means its made in Korea, but I am confused why the older model doesnt have the S in the pickup name
Thats my confusion

On the website the 2018 model sais that it has the #7 pickups
The 2019 model sais that it has the #7 S Pickups
I understand that the S means its made in Korea, but I am confused why the older model doesnt have the S in the pickup name
Thats my confusion

They’re all the same Korean/import pickups, PRS just started using the “S” designation recently to differentiate between their USA and import pickups. So the earlier S2’s have the “S” pickups, they just weren’t called that at the time.

Sorry for not being clear. Like Andy said, they are the same pickup just with a different name (added S). Sonically they are the same as "non-S" #7 S2 pickups.

Cool exactly what I wanted to know.

Is there any benefit of buying a 2017 Vs a 2019 model ? I'm guessing there shouldn't be one

Cool exactly what I wanted to know.

Is there any benefit of buying a 2017 Vs a 2019 model ? I'm guessing there shouldn't be one

Price, color, condition? All things said and done, the differences will be zero. They are super solid, ultra-consistent guitars.

Price, color, condition? All things said and done, the differences will be zero. They are super solid, ultra-consistent guitars.
The 2017 is a store instrument . I'm guessing it's a mint or near mint condition instrument that might have seen some display time. The 2019 is yet to be shipped from prs to the Balkans where I am.
I'm going to travel 500+ km to get the guitar either way to pick it up since I don't have a local store in Macedonia, and wanna make a good decision in advance.

Both are the tobacco burst and I am awaiting a quote on the price

In 100% truth, in my 33 years of playing, PRS makes the most consistent guitars I have ever played. If both are the same color, and essentially new, if the prices are close - get the new one. I mean, why not? I have never bought a PRS that wasn't perfect out of the box. I just got a brand new CE24 Semi Hollow. It came out of the box in tune, and pretty much set-up perfectly. I had to tweak a couple things to MY taste, but is was "right" when I took it out.

In the end, it just comes down to "store wear" or "never been played", right?

In 100% truth, in my 33 years of playing, PRS makes the most consistent guitars I have ever played. If both are the same color, and essentially new, if the prices are close - get the new one. I mean, why not? I have never bought a PRS that wasn't perfect out of the box. I just got a brand new CE24 Semi Hollow. It came out of the box in tune, and pretty much set-up perfectly. I had to tweak a couple things to MY taste, but is was "right" when I took it out.

In the end, it just comes down to "store wear" or "never been played", right?
Yep, exactly.

Back