S2 customs

fuzx

Someone mentioned in my first post about the s2. Anyone that owns one what are your thoughts? Used they are cheap but a couple hundered more I can get a ce used. I have searched and got mixed reviews. Everyone that had a core on most of the comments of the reviews said to get a core and not waste your money. I know about the hardware and pickups but for as cheap as they are used I could upgrade. Also watched the comparison videos that chapters did and he seemed impressed with the s2 custom. I searched prs s2 custom 24 and 22 didn't get a lot. Do I need to type something else to get better results?
Thanks

No experience with S2's (except for a minute at EXP with a Mira) but I'd rather have a CE over a most core Customs. They're different guitars, so don't just let price dictate your decision.

The Internet can be a wonderful resource and the opinions of others do matter. But I think maybe now is the time to get out there and try a few different models. Is there a store nearby that stocks a good range of PRS guitars?

Nearest guitar center is two hours away. They are the only prs dealer around my area. Price isn't an issue as far I don't mind spending the whole fifteen hundred on the right guitar.

My situation is the same. The only stores near to me are the small ones that hold the cheapest budget guitars that people mostly by at Christmas.

Two hours is not so bad. Can still be worth finding the time to pay a visit. And if it has its inventory online then you will be able to see what it has before making the journey.

I have 3 S2s' a standard 22 satin, a mira and a standard 22, they are excellent guitars and for the record I have a Core custom 22 from the late 90s and my Satin 22 is a better player and my favorite of the 4 of em....they ate high quality and everyone who says the are no better than the SE and dont hold a candle to the Core are smoking something, go play one that's actually set up well and you will see, I got a used one from Daves recently and it smokes and was CHEAP for a US made guitar...

I own a couple of core customs, a core mira, a stoptail CE and several S2's. One is an S2 custom. I think it compares very well to a Core. The Core may sound a little deeper. But when used within a band situation the differences aren't that audible. The only thing I'm not particularly fond of is the feel of the trem. Mind you, it works just as well as the core's trem.
As Serge stated customs and CE's are different beasts. The S2's are very well made instruments that kick many other brands asses.

Before I buy another S2, (Which I will not) I'm gonna step up to core at least. I was sadly disappointed with the S2 Singlecut I recently got. Just not the quality I had hoped for. Then again it was used and online. Another mistake in that I never test drove it before hand. Just not real impressed with the pickups and hardware either that they come with. just my opinions.

I also want to emphasize that the CEs are different sounding (maple neck) and different playing (Pattern Thin neck) guitars than the S2 Customs (mahogany neck, Pattern Regular neck). I think a CE would appeal more to someone looking for a brighter/"glassier" sound, similar but more balanced IMO to a Strat.

Also the 2017 S2 Customs come with 85/15 voiced pickups where the previous versions had #7s. There are probably not very many demos available yet with these new pickups.

I've owned an S2 Custom 24 and now own a Custom 22 and CE22. I think the S2s are fantastic for someone who wants a workhorse guitar or a platform for some mods. If you were definitely wanting an S2, I'd try to find one used, replace the wiring, pots, switch, and pickups, and possibly put in a Mann Made bridge. However, as others have said, once you get to the Core level (or older CEs), it's a different animal altogether.

I also want to emphasize that the CEs are different sounding (maple neck) and different playing (Pattern Thin neck) guitars than the S2 Customs (mahogany neck, Pattern Regular neck). I think a CE would appeal more to someone looking for a brighter/"glassier" sound, similar but more balanced IMO to a Strat.

Also the 2017 S2 Customs come with 85/15 voiced pickups where the previous versions had #7s. There are probably not very many demos available yet with these new pickups.

+1.

Pick for the features you want, don't sweat the details. I have 2 S2's and a core Mira, and I'm just as happy picking up the S2's. If you like maple necks, get the CE. I'm more into hog necks myself, but to each their own.

I found a dgt 408 I think it is. In seafoam green. I will own one of them. It is out of my price range. I like mahogany necks better. The ce I played was just an amazing guitar. I am still looking. It's nice everyday something else pops up.

I recommend against playing the price game and I agree with the others to start with the feature set you want and then save for that goal. A CE isn't necessarily better/worse than an S2 depending on what you want, so the money may be better saved for S2 mods or not spent at all or just keep saving for a used Core Custom. Again, all depends on what you really want.

If you want a bang-for-buck high performer that you can upgrade/customize a bit, a used S2 is hard to beat. But there's a certain allure to the feel of the carved top and finishing touches on the Core guitars. And if you crave the feel and spank of the bolt-on maple neck, nothing but the CE will do.

Where do you live? Since GC is so far, maybe there's a better PRS dealer you can deal with within a couple hours' drive.

Guitar center in Mobile Alabama is the closest to me. I found a small music store called Pinkstons music in Gulfport Mississippi. That's only a little over and hour from me. I am going this weekend to see what they have and going to call a couple stores in New Orleans since I will be in Gulfport.

Garrett brings up a good point. Figure out what you want and then focus your efforts on buying that guitar. The S2 and CE are somewhat at the ends of the spectrum because of the bolt on maple necks, etc. Apples and oranges. While I am not in love with the shape of the S2 guitars, I get the fact that they can be purchased for 2/5 of a core guitar with similar quality, sound and components.

As always, my recommendation is to not buy a guitar that requires so much modification that you end up with a very over priced guitar vs. just getting the higher end model as so many people do. If you end up with a $1500 SE, you probably spent too much money and the resale is dirt.

The S2 line is a bargain as compared to to other suppliers but they do have that comparison point of the core models which is sometimes hard to beat. If you are cool with the looks, go with it. They are very nice guitars.

I bought an S2 Custom 22 intending to flip it. It`s still here. The sound is slightly darker and more full bodied than my old CE 24, and it has a heavier sounding low end. It`s partially the mahogany vs maple neck difference, and partially the body carve. On this guitar, the pickups are fine, and I`ve never played a PRS trem I didn`t like. Because it`s your first PRS, play as many as you can and see if one jumps out at you with the sound. Don`t be afraid of used, and keep in mind changing pickups is easy. Changing the neck and body sound is impossible.

I just joined the forum today....I just bought a used PRS S2 Custom 24 (opaque white) really cheap off Reverb.com (included a super nice HS case) and knew that I would probably change some things, as I had played a few at some GC's here in the KC Metro area and felt that the Korean hardware was at best "just okay", but IMO stock pickups, pots, switch and wire really needed to be upgraded to make it the thing a "great" guitar and a "real" player. So, I bought a Seymour Duncan Jazz (neck) and JB (bridge) Hot Rod Set, along with new USA made pots, blade switch, jack plate and wire....I also changed the pick ups rings to white to give it a "sleeker" look....the tuners and bridge were doing a great job of staying in tune, even with me getting the tremolo a harsh testing....so I felt like it was best not to mess with that aspect of the guitar, even though I was prepared too. After being set up properly, I was able to give it a good run with my Mesa Boogie Mark 5:25 with the house empty and its really is a fantastic players guitar now, meaty low end and pinch harmonics seem pretty easy and the tremolo system stayed in tune very nicely (and I was torturing the thing)....the 24 fret length pushes the neck pickup 3/4" closer to the bridge and provides an interesting alternative tone to traditional "bassy" neck pickups IMO....kind of a cross between the two. I will try to get a pic of my PRS up after I great off the "at least 3 posts" newbie list....one more to go....but in any case, my new/used PRS S2 Customer 24 is really a KA guitar and will be giving it a "live" run this coming Thursday....stay tuned.

Also, I tried some CE24's and thought they played fine but definitely sounded brighter to me (but not quite Fender bright)....I prefer the darker sound of the S2's...

I have a Core Custom 24, an SE Custom 24 and an S2 Custom 24. No issues at all with the S2, and I like that I can bring it to practice on the NYC subway and not freak out if it gets jostled. The only upgrade I made was to pop in a Dimarzio EJ Custom for a bit more brightness, compared to my Core model.

I too have an S2 Custom 24 and previously owned a Core Custom 22. I purchased mine used in mint condition with the intention of selling it later however I find it so comfortable to play and good sounding I decided to keep it. I find it more comfortable to play sitting down than my prior Core Custom 22, however I will say that I do miss the "abalone looking" birds on the Core model as compared to the flat white ones on the S2 and also the scraped binding on the Core model. Those are very minor things and I'm more than happy with my S2 Custom 24. Especially the neck carve.

Back