S2 Custom 24... meh

I dig my S2 - there are some things I would change but overall I think I got what I paid for. As some others have mentioned, the neck profile is just a tad away from perfection - I have one W/F and one W/T neck, and the S2 neck feels just a little less "full" in the hand, it's slightly narrower at the nut and I think that's the thing. But it's by no means uncomfortable. The overall feel is indeed very close to an SE, but is that a bad thing? I certainly don't think so. I just saw someone say in another thread that the S2's felt good, just "less appointed" compared to a core instrument, which is a great way to put it. If you're into core stuff, and the SE/S2 feel just doesn't do it for you, I get that too, just depends on what you're used to. The value of my S2 is in the hardware and construction, and in the tone. The S2 already has locking tuners, USA nut, lampshade knobs, better pickups - all things that I would probably add on to an SE, so that's a lot of time and money saved right there. Plus the USA fretwire, as I have a heavy hand and I'm looking forward to a bit more life from these frets. And then there's the wood, one piece mahogany body, full maple top, that also doesn't come on SE's. Overall, my S2 sounds better stock than any of my SE's did, which seems to be a strangely ignored topic in this thread. It's one of the few guitars that I've owned that I liked the stock pickups on. I also have zero fret buzz, unlike my SE's, and the intonation up the neck is perfection, also unlike my SE's.

Of the 3 SE's I've owned, the only one that can match the S2 for tone is my Akesson, but I swear there's a little something extra inside the wood of that guitar, plus I put some 57/08's in, which certainly didn't hurt. I wasn't very interested in an S2 Custom 24 before, but after having another S2 in the house, I'm warming to them. I think I would like one a lot more than my SE CU24, the maple neck on that guitar makes it quite bright.

I love my s2. Some of us are not well off enough to spend $10k on guitars so we get what we can. To me the s2 was the absolute best guitar that I could afford. I have not had a regret with buying this guitar, I like everything about it. I also have an SE cu24 and to me the s2 is night and day, the feel is similar but the quality, playability, and sound are lightyears ahead of the SE. One day I will buy a core model but that day is not today so for now I have what I can afford and I love it..

I played several S2's yesterday at Chicago Music Exchange, and a nearby Guitar Center on Halsted; they are pretty sweet! For comparison I also played a few custom 24's and ten tops. Which are of course, amazing.. But that in no way detracts from the S2's which are definitely in their own category. Those core models were all alot more money than I should even remotely consider. Interestingly most of the newer core and ten top custom 24's which were the pattern thin neck. For my hands, wrist, fingers, etc - I don't like the pattern thin necks; and those were on the expensive guitars.

I think the majority of the S2 guitars are pattern regular, I recall reading that maybe in the PRS 2015 catalog, or the info page on their website or something. I don't know if the S2 pattern regular is a direct comparable to the core pattern regular; but in general I really like the S2 necks - which are all pattern regular ( except for maybe the Mira or Starla?)

I played two S2 custom 22 semi's, and various finishes of the S2 custom 24's, including at least one 30th anniversary, and one used. The used was tempting for under $1k, next to a guitar that is $1400 new, and they look essentially identical. The S2 finishes are no frills, but still quite nice. The tops can vary alot from guitar to guitar, if you are able to shop around, you can find some nice looking S2's indeed. I like the violin amber sunburst a whole lot.

They play quite well. Overall, my hands preferred the custom 22 semi's over the 24's; though that's because I am new to PRS and haven't played a 24 fret axe in several years (not since before I was in my bass playing years from 2000-2008!)

The pattern thin felt too wide at the nut for me. Though it could be just me, my hands are not large, and fingers pretty much regular. I felt some strain reaching for some open and bar chords and positions that involved notes on the low E string, as compared to the S2 guitars with the pattern regular neck. I didn't get to play a core 24 pattern regular though, to see if the neck was similar / comparable to the S2.

As PRS owners, we're frequently accused of being snobs. I was playing last night, and another band had a guitar player with an beautiful CU24 in Matteo blue. Nobody would talk to him. I decided to break the ice after my set. I had taken an SE 2-P90 Singlecut that just screams. He complimented me on my tone, and asked me what kind of guitar this was. I said a charcoal fade PRS SE. He was shocked because it wasn't figured maple, and he didn't know it was a PRS. Then came the attitude. I won't take a really expensive guitar to a dive bar, for all the reasons that have been mentioned here. One of the reasons is that I'm there to play, not to impress someone with how much I dropped on my gear. The guitar is good or not, the player is good or not. I've seen every kind of guitar being used to make great music. All I care about is the sound. An S2 sounds like an S2 to my ears. That's neither good nor bad. It's its own animal that shouldn't be compared to a core model or an SE. It has its own neck carve which you may or may not like. I always thought the idea was to find a guitar you bonded with, and then to play the hell out of it. I've bought and sold a lot of instruments over the years, and settled on my PRS (SE and Core) that gave me what I wanted. I know rich people who play great inexpensive guitars, and poor people who have mortgaged the house to get the axe of their dreams. At any price point, we should have what we love. I also don't believe anyone bats a thousand in anything. Let's not bash, let's not be snobs, let's try to be objective and talk.That being said, I would buy an S2 in a minute if I bonded with it.

As PRS owners, we're frequently accused of being snobs. I was playing last night, and another band had a guitar player with an beautiful CU24 in Matteo blue. Nobody would talk to him. I decided to break the ice after my set. I had taken an SE 2-P90 Singlecut that just screams. He complimented me on my tone, and asked me what kind of guitar this was. I said a charcoal fade PRS SE. He was shocked because it wasn't figured maple, and he didn't know it was a PRS. Then came the attitude. I won't take a really expensive guitar to a dive bar, for all the reasons that have been mentioned here. One of the reasons is that I'm there to play, not to impress someone with how much I dropped on my gear. The guitar is good or not, the player is good or not. I've seen every kind of guitar being used to make great music. All I care about is the sound. An S2 sounds like an S2 to my ears. That's neither good nor bad. It's its own animal that shouldn't be compared to a core model or an SE. It has its own neck carve which you may or may not like. I always thought the idea was to find a guitar you bonded with, and then to play the hell out of it. I've bought and sold a lot of instruments over the years, and settled on my PRS (SE and Core) that gave me what I wanted. I know rich people who play great inexpensive guitars, and poor people who have mortgaged the house to get the axe of their dreams. At any price point, we should have what we love. I also don't believe anyone bats a thousand in anything. Let's not bash, let's not be snobs, let's try to be objective and talk.That being said, I would buy an S2 in a minute if I bonded with it.

Totally Agree, I love my S2... It's hard to explain, but it feels just right when I play it.

The Vela really piques my interest. In 1995, I bought a Jazzmaster, and played two of those for the next 11+ years, and then in 2006, I bought my black CU22 and have been playing it ever since. The Vela is like the sum of those two guitars - right up my alley.

I have ranted about how crummy the dealers are here given what a major city this is, and won't go into that again, but the only S2s I have ever seen are S2 CU24s. GC had four of them and nothing else. No other dealer stocks USA PRSi. I played all four and felt like they were the real deal, right up there with my CU22 and Core Mira. I can only assume the other S2s are going to be consistent with those four.

I have never touched a Private Stock, just like I never touched cocaine, because I'm better off not knowing how good it is. It seems like PRS has shifted the core line to be even higher end than it was previously since the S2s have been around. Looking at dealer inventory, Core models seem to have all the bling these days. Gone are guitars like my CU22, which is solid black with moon inlays at a good price. So, for me, I feel like the S2s are the right price point and right vibe for where I am as a player if I'm looking to buy another guitar.

I'm wondering when they'll do a 245 necked S2. I know using the same neck cuts costs but if the line keeps growing there may be room for a S245 line.

Well, I was lucky enough to be in Alto music today and happened to se a few S2s on the wall. I did not like the way they looked, but before I left, I had a chance to grab the Cu 24 model. I only had a minute to play it, but I have to say, I liked it. Its not a core model for sure, but IMO, its MILES ahead of the SE line, which just leave me cold. (Nothing against guys who love them, its only my opinion!) The neck felt pretty nice, much better than a WT, and the fret work and playability was absolute TOP notch. I would say this one was on par with any Core model I have owned, or even my PSs. It just cant play any better. Low action, and not a fret buzz anywhere to be found. The acoustic resonance seemed pretty good, (not as good as a core, but not as dead as many SEs sound to me) and I really did not get a chance to compare pups with anything. Still, you can change those out, and have a very nice guitar. A MUCH better guitar than I had anticipated. IMO, YMMV etc etc. On the down side, I checked out to PRS amps. Neither did a thing for me clean or over driven. When it comes to amps, I am definitely a Fender clean/Dumble overdrive, and once in a while Vox guy! :redface:

Spot on dude. As much as I would want a CE I can't afford it and the S2 line sounds great. I played several and when I picked up the one I ended up buying it just had the right feel. That being said I still love my SE and I would be more than happy to take either anywhere. Especially at a bar, SE all the way.

The owner of my publishing partner is a guitar enthusiast who also owns a bank, is involved in real estate ventures, and has several homes all over the globe.
His electric guitar is a used PRS.

It's not like he can't afford a new one. He just likes a good bargain.

Being asked if you'd rather spend less is not an insult. It's a legitimate question.

We've been friends for a long time. He'd have said, "Hey, I always want to get more and spend less. Show me that guitar that's easier on the wallet and I'll see if I like it better."

Plus one:
I can afford many things new, I just do not like to spend more than I have too.
But if I like it enough and I can't get a deal, I will buy it.

* I really don't care for Fender strats, I've never played one that feels even remotely comfortable to me. Plus, I've 'fixed' enough Squires my friends bought for the kids to learn on, that my view of the entire company is affected.

Oh I agree with the feel of fender not being my taste but the guitars have been in the hands of hendrix, gilmore, clapton Etc. any guitar that is not totally unserviceable is able to be modded and made a competent performer.

I really dug the tone of the Vela in Aristotle's video. It has a very cool vibe with a lot of personality. I'm going to get one soon.

I own a S2 SC semi-hollow and feel that it plays and sounds very well. I feel that the craftsmanship is sharp and the whole thing is very well put together. No complaints at all. I understand that these guitars don't have as much investment in aesthetics as the core line but what really matters is how she handles and how she howls. Seems like you collect these guitars like skittles. I understand the quality is compromised a little from the core model but maybe you picked up one that missed the mark a hair and went un-noticed. If you were primarily upset about the contour of the body.. they spend about 4 less hours in the CNC machine to save time and operating costs. The resulting difference is primarily aesthetic if not entirely. I dig the asymmetrically beveled top but admire the core line shape as well.

The S2's are a great idea that misses the mark completely. To me they felt cheap. I own cores and SE's, and if choosing between SE's and S2's, I'm going SE.

I bought my daughter (12) a Zach Myers SE Semi-hollow and fixed it up... pickups, pots, switch craft toggle, hard case. It is a very good guitar. It got me interested in the S2 SC Semi-hollow.
I located what I thought was a good one and bought it.
This thing is easily worth the additional dollars over the SE. Not sure about the other S2s... but this one they got right.
Light, resonant and finished to perfection... Its got good bones.
I put treble bleed caps in... done.

Last edited:
I bought my daughter (12) a Zach Myers SE Semi-hollow and fixed it up... pickups, pots, switch craft toggle, hard case. It is a very good guitar. It got me interested in the S2 SC Semi-hollow.
This thing is easily worth the additional dollars over the SE. Not sure about the other S2s... but this one they got right.

I just bought my second S2. Also a singlecut, but a solid body. Installing treble bleed, maybe new switch... Done. I agree with you wholeheartedly

YES

This is SO true.

My wife is a makeup artist for Dior. Mostly she does shows at various stores to demonstrate the product, but the stories I hear of how the salespeople are treated, and how she is sometimes treated in these stores, by customers, is appalling.

Absolutely appalling.

She does the work because she likes the artistry, but she also has a master's degree in education, she is no dummy. And she doesn't really have to work. It's a part time gig. Salespeople are treated like crap on a daily basis by customers who somehow feel entitled because they're spending ten bucks on a tube of lipstick.

I mean, really.

I would last exactly one day in that career. The first customer who gave me guff would get it back in spades. And then I'd be fired. LOL

And someone who dragged me over to a computer to show me how important a customer he/she is would be ignored from that moment on. Because, really. What are you supposed to do? Kowtow to them?

This S2 Semi hollow is HOT this and possibly the Vela in the S2 line would interest me :)

Guitars to me are just like many players, some are extremely high quality, but do nothing for me, others are "lower end" but keep your foot tapping. 100K Ferrari doesn't make you a better driver.

Back