S2 Custom 24... meh

Gibson67v

So I was in my local music store yesterday and I saw a Custom 24... right off the bat I thought something was wrong with it... but I couldn't quite tell... it was a Blue Crab Smoke or something (Really nice colour)... I picked it up and I was instantly reminded of the original run of the Santana SE's... I was not impressed... I actually thought for a second that this might be a fake that was traded in or something... then I felt the body and instantly my heart sunk... it was an S2!!!

I knew I wouldn't want one because of inferior pickups and trem system... but I didn't think I wouldn't like the feel of the neck... it felt too fat and kind of hollow...

it must just be a bad make or something (but they cut those up...)

how has everyone felt about their Custom 24 S2s? I really wanted to like them (not buy one) but that one guitar just turned me away...

also... the salesman heard me say to my wife (who was quite pleased that I disliked a Paul Reed Smith) "This is one of those S2 guitars... I'm not impressed". He took one look at me and said "Yeah those are US made!... but if the price tag is too much for you we have the SE's which are Korean made and easier on the wallet". I shaved yesterday... so apparently I look poor with a clean shaven face and rich with a beard because I've never had anyone say that to me... I let him go on with his spiel and he casually asked me "What guitar do you have right now"... I calmly brought him over to his computer so he could check my customer number in his system...I said check what I've bought in 2013... he saw the amount... then I said Check what I bought from May-June-July... he saw that I bought 3 US Paul Reed Smiths totalling 10 grand... I then told him that yes SE's are great guitars and easy on the wallet, however, don't assume that everyone is poor... judging a customer before you actually meet them ruins your chances of making a sale and pleasing a customer... I hate when people do that to others in store (I've seen it a lot) but now it's happened to me lol

The S2 Customs look great and sound great on videos, but the Regular neck might feel wrong for some people. I have yet to try one, but the my nearest dealer said they'll be bringing them in pretty soon, I'm still waiting! That said, I can see why most people gravitate towards the other 2 models in the S2 series. The Custom feels like it's in between, and most people prefer to be on either extremes, as the saying goes: go hard, or go home! People either buy themselves the blingy Custom 24, or they get the cheaper SE and live with it. I figured the SE could be a better choice if you're wanting to mod... and since they shared the same vibrato bridge, I'd be more inclined to get the SE and mod it, if given a choice between the two, I'm more of a modding guy. But hey, I'm not knocking on the S2 here ;) they're still pretty cool.

I agree that the S2s aren't for guys like me... That doesn't make me better or worse than anyone else... I don't have a private stock (would love one, but can't afford it). Just don't like when salespeople prejudge...

I also thought that the necks were supposed to be pattern regular... I love the pattern regular neck!! This felt like a hollow overly wide fat neck.

The Mira and Starla were made for the S2 series... Custom 24 just doesn't fit right...

The Mira and Starla were made for the S2 series... Custom 24 just doesn't fit right...

I think this is 100% correct. The Mira and Starla were the cheaper side of PRS anyway, so getting them to fit into the S2 price bracket can't have been too difficult.

The S2 CU24 has had to compromise too much IMO and as a result has missed the mark. I would imagine most would rather get a used core model.

For me the SE trem and the plastic birds are a real turn off.

The Mira on the other hand looks great, I'll definitely be acquiring one.

So I was in my local music store yesterday and I saw a Custom 24... right off the bat I thought something was wrong with it... but I couldn't quite tell... it was a Blue Crab Smoke or something (Really nice colour)... I picked it up and I was instantly reminded of the original run of the Santana SE's... I was not impressed... I actually thought for a second that this might be a fake that was traded in or something... then I felt the body and instantly my heart sunk... it was an S2!!!

I knew I wouldn't want one because of inferior pickups and trem system... but I didn't think I wouldn't like the feel of the neck... it felt too fat and kind of hollow...

it must just be a bad make or something (but they cut those up...)

how has everyone felt about their Custom 24 S2s? I really wanted to like them (not buy one) but that one guitar just turned me away...

also... the salesman heard me say to my wife (who was quite pleased that I disliked a Paul Reed Smith) "This is one of those S2 guitars... I'm not impressed". He took one look at me and said "Yeah those are US made!... but if the price tag is too much for you we have the SE's which are Korean made and easier on the wallet". I shaved yesterday... so apparently I look poor with a clean shaven face and rich with a beard because I've never had anyone say that to me... I let him go on with his spiel and he casually asked me "What guitar do you have right now"... I calmly brought him over to his computer so he could check my customer number in his system...I said check what I've bought in 2013... he saw the amount... then I said Check what I bought from May-June-July... he saw that I bought 3 US Paul Reed Smiths totalling 10 grand... I then told him that yes SE's are great guitars and easy on the wallet, however, don't assume that everyone is poor... judging a customer before you actually meet them ruins your chances of making a sale and pleasing a customer... I hate when people do that to others in store (I've seen it a lot) but now it's happened to me lol

Take this in the best possible way, but there are a lot of people that go into music stores without the intention of dropping 3K (or even 1K in this instance) on a guitar. I doubt this was some sort of slam on your income level. Mid-level instruments are the bread and butter of these joints. IMO having the guy look up your purchases was kind of... snobby.

I was super excited when I first heard about the S2 Custom. After seeing pics and reading specs I became less interested. When I went to pick up my Clint Lowery SE, the store had one. After seeing one in person, I have no interest in one at all.

S

Good for you! A lot of sales folks know nothing about sales; it's probably GC's fault for poor training.

So...you dropped "$10K" over 3 months, but can't afford a Private Stock?

<scratches head>

Does not compute.

Suffice it to say, I detect a certain haughtiness in tone. I'd humbly suggest pausing for a moment and considering that perhaps your reaction was just as off-putting to him (or other customers within earshot) as his reaction was to you. Not an attack...merely an observation. :)

I was super excited when I first heard about the S2 Custom. After seeing pics and reading specs I became less interested. When I went to pick up my Clint Lowery SE, the store had one. After seeing one in person, I have no interest in one at all.

that sounds worrying to me :O reading about all those good magazine reviews on the S2, I was eager to check out one. And then the real feedback from PRS players...

:iamconfused:

I think the S2 is a good idea...even if it's not up to par with the core PRS instruments, I know which one I'd be more likely to take to a shady nightclub or open mic...

I'd like to try an S2. I like the idea of taking the real value of something - design, factory QC - and cutting the corners where they can be cut, in the bits and pieces that aren't essential, so the buyer gets a solid value. As far as the encounter there, I gotta say that when I worked customer service if a customer pulled me aside to remind me of his buying power, next visit he's gonna have some added ingredients in his salad.

My local dealer has two S2 CU24s. I didn't plug either in but I did noodle about on them for a while. Excellent craftsmanship, feel and playability and the setup was spot-on. The necks felt fine to me. Of course, if I wasn't comfortable with the neck carve, that wouldn't make it a bad guitar. It reads as though no one here so far has plugged one in so I'm curious what is "inferior" about the pickups and trem. I understand they are imported but that does not mean they're inferior. I'll have to plug one in when I go back. The only suggested improvement I can offer is to use a different color decal on the cherry finished ones. The black decal and serial number on the cherry finish is hard to see.

I tried two S2 models at a certain GC in NJ with the NICE folks from PRS. I even have pics of them. They were eager to have me try these S2 models and I was just as eager. But, honestly, the S2 line left me flat. I didn't have the heart to be honest with them. Still, I see the PRS' marketing angle with these guitars. They are trying!

He took one look at me and said "Yeah those are US made!... but if the price tag is too much for you we have the SE's which are Korean made and easier on the wallet"

The owner of my publishing partner is a guitar enthusiast who also owns a bank, is involved in real estate ventures, and has several homes all over the globe. His electric guitar is a used PRS.

It's not like he can't afford a new one. He just likes a good bargain.

Being asked if you'd rather spend less is not an insult. It's a legitimate question.

We've been friends for a long time. He'd have said, "Hey, I always want to get more and spend less. Show me that guitar that's easier on the wallet and I'll see if I like it better."

Last edited:
My publishing partner is a guitar enthusiast who also owns a bank, is involved in real estate ventures, and has several homes all over the globe. His electric guitar is a used PRS.

It's not like he can't afford a new one. He just likes a good bargain.

Being asked if you'd rather spend less is not an insult. It's a legitimate question.

By the way, I think the Korean made SE is a better value and better made than the S2 :) My $0.02.

So...you dropped "$10K" over 3 months, but can't afford a Private Stock?

<scratches head>

Does not compute.

Suffice it to say, I detect a certain haughtiness in tone. I'd humbly suggest pausing for a moment and considering that perhaps your reaction was just as off-putting to him (or other customers within earshot) as his reaction was to you. Not an attack...merely an observation. :)

Agreed.

I haven't seen one in person yet, so I'll reserve judgement for now. The only thing that does kinda bug me about th S2 24 is the body carve. I wish it would've stayed closer to the core design. The Mira and Starla look just fine though. I'm not the target market but still interested in checking them out.

Back