Rut City

justmund

Plank Spanker
Was there a thread about ruts? Being in them, sharing stories, and how to get out of them? I think there was but can't remember the name of it or where it was posted. PRSf is getting to the point where digging up old thread is actually an effort (this is a good thing!).

If there wasn't, then this can be the thread!

Reason I ask is lately I've fallen deeper into a rut, all my solos are the same, stuck in the same modes, using the same techniques etc. Practice would probably help but yeah, looking for some inspiration!

I force myself to do something completely different:
- switch guitar types, say electric to big body acoustic
- play something from a different genre, I keep some classical music, stuff written for piano, Ted Greene chords progressions, etc and just play that for a bit. It forces me to think differently and then I start to develop my own ideas from it.

I feel like I am in a rut right now but am on my way out of it. I started taking lessons and working through instructional material again.

I think one of my main problems is I've never had formal training, I know little theory, can't read staff etc.

I'd love to get into the Ted Greene stuff (I have a couple of books) but I don't know if I could jump into it with my lack of theory.

Do you think it's accessible enough, or should I go learn some theory first?

Have you tried to just be Justmund for a day?Make up a little riff or chord progression,stamp your foot and try to mix between lead and comping.You have to keep the timing though with your foot.Skip the theory or technique thinking,just try to make up something melodic that fits your riff or chord progression.Try simple thing as playing only with downstrokes or with thumb ala Jeff Beck and listen how that changes the tone.

Sometimes I will just throw some apple loops in weird keys together, it helps me to spend time on the keys I normally would never write in.

I am writing a riff per day all month this month. Yesterday, geez, I was struggling already (it's only the 4th?!?! ugh), forcing something to come out, but everything was terrible. So, I played a couple old songs from old bands and noodled around and drifted off, lost my train of thought, next thing I knew these two chords had come together and there was this awesome rhythm going and I was pretty stoked. Recorded it to a click in Audacity and was done for the day.

So, pick up the guitar, play, don't think about it too much, do something to get your hands going and your mind stopping and see what happens. Be near a recording device when it happens so you can remember it.

I think one of my main problems is I've never had formal training, I know little theory, can't read staff etc.

I'd love to get into the Ted Greene stuff (I have a couple of books) but I don't know if I could jump into it with my lack of theory.

Do you think it's accessible enough, or should I go learn some theory first?
You don't really need theory to follow his progressions, just nimble fingers and patience.
He draws charts and shows optional fingerings and embellishments.
Knowing theory would help you understand why the progressions work and make it easier for you to come up with your own.
His books are demanding, so plan on a Page or two a day.

You don't really need theory to follow his progressions, just nimble fingers and patience.
He draws charts and shows optional fingerings and embellishments.
Knowing theory would help you understand why the progressions work and make it easier for you to come up with your own.
His books are demanding, so plan on a Page or two a day.
Nice one, thanks mate. I've got Chord Chemistry and one of the single note soloing ones. I'll give them a crack!

When I catch a rut I'll change:

guitars
amps
tunings

Any one, or a combo of all of them seems to do the trick.
A little Crown-n-Coke doesn't hurt, either. :laugh:

One thing that helps me is to take a break for a few days. Taking that little time off not thinking about playing allows me to come back fresh.

If you feel like you're out of solo ideas, work on your fretboard knowledge. Get comfortable all over the board, and you'll find different combinations of notes that will add variety.

Work on a different style than you're used to.

I do things such as pick up the acoustic or classical or work on some other side of the music if i'm writing something such as piano of drums. In a worse case scenario i'll take a complete break for a few days.

Back