Ring size for 85/15?

Iam74Gibson

I got finga's on me blista's
Hi all, new to this forum, and just got my 1st PRS Custom 24... love everything about the guitar except the white pickup rings... so will be changing those out. I read somewhere that the 85/15 pickups which I have are slightly larger than most. Does this mean they would take a special size ring? I found some rings that say "for flat guitars only" I don't think my guitar would be considered flat, but maybe flat at the pickups? Any insight is appreciated.

PJ

I can't answer your question, but I just wanted to point out that PRS current rings appear to have a custom bevel and an angled screw mount so that the pickups sit parallel to the strings.

My older PRS with stock Gibson style pickup rings are beveled for a Les Paul carve and have the pickups sitting at an angle in a PRS.

The PRS squabbin pickups are larger than normal uncovered pickups, but they fit fine in normal rings. They're about the same size as covered pickups.

With the trem, you'll want to look for flat rings. Or, depending on the aesthetic you're going for, get a set of black PRS rings.

I changed the pickups in my 2008 McCarty Korina to hybrid 85/15s from a Custom 24 and changed the pickup ring, too. No problem, fits perfect.

full

Thanks, I may have jumped the gun a bit, but I went ahead and ordered a set of flat rings... they were located in the UK, so I wanted to get them on their way... if they don't fit, you may see them on ebay... I will post pics later

Thanks

I changed the pickups in my 2008 McCarty Korina to hybrid 85/15s from a Custom 24 and changed the pickup ring, too. No problem, fits perfect.

full

That's a nice looking guitar... if the rings I ordered don't fit, I can always do black.....

This is the ring and guitar....

Gring_zpsc4dg3th1.png

riahCbZxoAUtbub29

Well , Not sure if the guitar image will display once I post this... I am new to the forum so maybe doing something wrong... the Ring seemed to work ok, and that is really what I wanted to show...

Maybe try this link

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah9/Iam74Gibson/Greeny_zpstajvnbhl.png

PJ
No pics, even with the link... most people here ditched photobucket...
https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/bye-bye-photobucket.24604/

Well the thing to do is look at your current pickup rings from the side, whether they're flat or beveled. If you really want to go green-on-green (you obviously wanted them enough to try, so might as well try and make them work, but then they probably wouldn't be saleable on eBay), I would just route out the pickup rings until they fit.

Yeah I guess I will see once I get the rings. Not sure if I can route them. they are aluminum and most likely just plated green... I have a Luthier locally that I can go get advise from if it gets too scary.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Well they sell the black ones if you can't use the green ones. Both the PRS store and John Mann. link

I forget though -- some parts are different from the SE to the core line, so just make sure that either: you're getting the right kind, or it doesn't matter.

There's also a third-party source for wood ones and fancy metal ones.

Back