Ridged Push/Pull knobs

Kaborex

Hi all,

I just came across a video on youtube you may find interesting (actually it is a 2015 video). Unfortunately not PRS but Epiphone has produced this ridged push pull knob which maybe the good folks at PRS should start thinking about.

The push pull knob on my DGT is so slippery it is unreal. It just does not work in a practical situation. The biggest downfall on this guitar if you actually use split coils.

That's a cool idea because they still look like the same style.

I tell everyone the trick with lampshades is to get your fingertip under the edge of the knob to pry it up, rather than grabbing the barrel of the knob. I use splits all the time on gigs and it works great for me.

I tell everyone the trick with lampshades is to get your fingertip under the edge of the knob to pry it up, rather than grabbing the barrel of the knob. I use splits all the time on gigs and it works great for me.
That would work with one major assumption.... you have nice nails. I bite my nails so bad, on one of my fingers there is none left. So I cannot get under the lampshade to pull it up... lol

That's what I do. I helps I have long fingernails on my right hand for finger picking.

That would work with one major assumption.... you have nice nails. I bite my nails so bad, on one of my fingers there is none left. So I cannot get under the lampshade to pull it up... lol

Not at all. I use the fleshy part of my middle finger tip.

What works for one may not work for all, of course.

Hi all,

I just came across a video on youtube you may find interesting (actually it is a 2015 video). Unfortunately not PRS but Epiphone has produced this ridged push pull knob which maybe the good folks at PRS should start thinking about.

The push pull knob on my DGT is so slippery it is unreal. It just does not work in a practical situation. The biggest downfall on this guitar if you actually use split coils.
Those have been in production at least 3-4 years now. We've got a couple of Epi's with those and they work fabulously!
I've been saying and wondering why the perfectionist @ PRS haven't done something similar for 2-3 years now.... It's such a simple solution...
The whole "don't push the knob all the way down on the pot" and "reach under and grab the bottom edge of the knob" obviously works for some people, but why should you have live with such mickey mouse solutions??
I've just ended up using a different knob on the few PRS that I actually use the push/pull function on...

The Ibby sure-grip knobs are even better, but they're hard to find and pricey...

Back