Rhythm Players...

Boogie

Zombie Two, DFZ
Despite never getting KISS, I’ve always appreciated the public face of Paul Stanley...a total pro. Other than for musicians that also sing and play, most people probably didn’t remember that Paul even played an instrument! When I saw the new Ernie Ball video with Paul, I paused for a second thought, “is Paul Stanley giving a guitar lesson??!! What would he have to offer?” In a genuine way, not a snarky, he sucks too bad to offer anything interesting kind of vibe. So I clicked the video.

At first, all I heard was a slightly out of tune Les Paul thru a Marshall JCM-something with the same boring 80s rock sound that dominated the radio in that era. But as I listened to what he said and how he appreciated bigger strings and the excursion caused from a heavy attack and the resulting overtones and rock vibe, I no longer heard out of tune...I heard ROCK! And actually, I heard me, in a way, for the first time.
The key is to not bang so hard that it’s noticeably out of tune, so if it sounds a little rough by yourself, it’s probably cool in the context of the band.

Who else do you guys/gals consider well-rounded rhythm players? To me, a bad-a$$ed rhythm player that can bash out a tasteful lead is more valuable than a killer lead guitarist that’s weak on the rest.

I agree Stanley is underrated, he's a great rhythm player. John Lennon comes to mind as one of the greatest rhythm players ever. Lots of examples, but "All My Loving" was a song that blew me away years ago because of the driving rhythm guitar. Here's a live version where you can really hear it:

I always dug Paul, and his playing. He would make my list. Malcolm would be at the top. Let's see, Hetfield, Scott Ian, Jon Shaffer and Rudy Schenker.

I would put Tommy Shaw from Styx in this catagory. Even though he plays both rhythm and lead, I think his rhythm playing had more depth and character than James Young. Just my opinion.

Nice to see the rhythm guys getting some love. That's where I spent most of my time and had the most fun!

I didn’t really have an appreciation for rhythm guitar for ages. I kind of saw it as what guys in a band who weren’t especially musical did. Eventually I started to listen deeper than the horns and hooks and vocals and get a better sense of what really made the whole.

Then I decided I should try to learn how to be a rhythm player, maybe 10 years ago. A couple years ago I started to feel like I could at least fake it. I listened a lot to Keef, Edge and SRV while trying to get there.

It wasn’t until I had to start filling in the gaps for several bands did I appreciate creative rhythm playing. It’s not just laying down the chord foundation. Besides, with only less than 45 seconds reserved for the average solo, there’s way more stuff to be done rhythmically. And if you do it right, it’s like you were soloing through the whole song!

It wasn’t until I had to start filling in the gaps for several bands did I appreciate creative rhythm playing. It’s not just laying down the chord foundation. Besides, with only less than 45 seconds reserved for the average solo, there’s way more stuff to be done rhythmically. And if you do it right, it’s like you were soloing through the whole song!
This is my guitar life.
Now my lead player is asking me how I do it because he wants to play with a neighbor of his who wants to play lead.
And... how I do it whilst singing.

This is my guitar life.
Now my lead player is asking me how I do it because he wants to play with a neighbor of his who wants to play lead.
And... how I do it whilst singing.

I have a 30 year old nephew I hadn't seen since he was a kid because of the distance my sister and I live apart. A couple years ago I was at my sisters house visiting and was amazed at how well he could play lead. I started playing a really basic 12 bar blues line for him to solo against and he thought I was SRV or something. He wanted me to teach him how to do that. I thought everybody knew the I,IV,V progression. I wanted to know how he learned to play lead without it!

Rhythm playing is underrated, from what I've seen. I've been guilty of that too until I've had to do my fair share of dealing with rhythm guitars. i.e.- rhythm section in jazz ensemble/combos, tracking metal rhythm guitars for my music/album.

One example of one of the more contemporary guys I'd recommend for stepping up one's game would by John Browne from Monuments. Step it up with that picking hand:

Eddie and Jaymez are my rhythm stars. I get bored fast working on solos.

Back