Replacement tuners. Need advice!

jutter

I'm in love with my CE24 but not with the winged tuners. I want to replace them for this:

DSC02218.jpg

Do they fit perfectly? I don't want to drill in the headstock. Or do I need other tuners? Please, give me some advice!
BTW, This is the PRS we're talking about, made in 2002.

PRSCE24032_zps2c55a7c2.jpg

IMG_20141112_202201_zpsbc3f9d82.jpg

I believe PTC developed a way to retrofit Phase II tuner shafts onto the housing of the Winged Tuner - I would shoot them an email and check it out.

I put ph 2s on both my CEs. I said WTH and drilled holes. Mine are not significant in any way and most likely never sell them. If they were special in some way I may think twice before drilling

They were perfect fit.

Aren't Phase IIs a direct replacement for the OP's tuners without any need for drilling?

Yes that's correct. I didn't like the hassleof messing with the wings nor did I like the gear ratio of the wing tuners. The ph 2s make string changes quick.

the wing conversion option that was mentioned is on PTC link. It is not cheap!!!!

He will have to drill holes for mounting screws on back of headstock. That's all.

Yup - holes will be needed. Luckily its a CE and he can use a wood filled and light sanding to leave barely noticeable footprints if he choses.

Aren't Phase IIs a direct replacement for the OP's tuners without any need for drilling?

Phase II tuners should be a direct swap on a 2002. The later winged tuners have the same screw tab as the Phase II. They're not like the older style wings with the shared D/G screw (which would require new screw holes).

That's what I was thinking. There were a few different incarnations of winged tuners but the ones in jutter's picture are clearly the same mounting pattern as phase IIs.

I did make a mistake. My PRS is made in 2001. Does the PhaseII also fit on the 2001 models?

Yes, it's the same. I was going by the picture you posted anyway and not the year.

Back