Replacement PUPS for Zach

Tommy360

Hi guys-
I'm about a week or two into the Zach and it's really terrific, especially for the money. I'm finding it a bit brighter than I anticipated (which is ok) but somewhat lacking those juicy mids I'm so fond of. I'm having the nut replaced tomorrow, eventaully I'll probably do locking tuners too. I'm cautiously thinking of replacing the pick ups. Not really too keen on some 300 dollar boutiques as I think there's plenty of options I'd be happy with at a more reasonable price. Given the relatively bright nature of the beast, anyone have any ideas?? I'm thinking of something with a vintage or possibly vintage+ output and I'd like to keep it looking as stock as possible so zebra's are in order......thanks in advance!

If you're looking for vintage tone, Dimarzio 36th anniversary PAF's are hard to beat for the price. You can often find a pair for $125-140 on ebay or the other forums. They come in a zebra and reverse-zebra configuration too.

Actually, they're at the top of my list! Seems to fit the bill. So, to keep the cosmetics the same, one pickup is zebra, one reverse zebra?

Some companies consider Zebra to be black on the screw coil, and creme on the slug coil (Suhr, DiMarzio). Other companies consider zebra to be creme screw coils and black slug coils (PRS, Gibson). So, you need to do both reverse zebra with DiMarzio if you want the screw coils to be creme colored.

Also, I have not tried the 36th anny pickups, but can say for sure that either an Air Zone or an AT-1 is going to bring a lot of warmth. Or, you could just try buying some Alnico 2 magnets and swap them into your current pickups, that would be far cheaper than new pickups. I don't know for sure which magnets the SE245 pickups use.

+1 for 36ths...I prefer them to 5708s and DGTs amazingly.

Ive not seen them in reverse zebra config though, just reg zebra. They can possibly be custom ordered though. They made me a purple/white zebra set awhile back.

I kinda wish i hadn't read this thread. I love everything about my santana SE, but i think that with the right pickups it has the potential to be a jaw dropper. And i have thought about the 36th's. But i DO like the stock tone in general. I like the pickups as far as thier general voice, but i just feel like i wish they were a bit more focused and seemed a bit less weak when turned down for cleaner sounds. Has anyone put these in a santana SE and if so what did you think? I don't want to hijack this thread, but the talk of those 36th's was right up my alley as far as what i've been considering doing. Maybe PM me if you have a reply for me so the thread doesn't get hijacked. Thanks.

This is an inspiring thread, what about my C24 SE, for me the stock bridge is a little harsh and the neck a little woolly, does anyone have any recommendation's for suitable swap out set that can still be tapped but would offer more subtle but versatile tones??

thanks

I have an old set of #7's that I think will go perfectly with my new Zach SE (Brian's LTD) when it arrives. I plan on installing P/P pots for coil splitting too.

Just a little update......have lived with my Zach now for a few weeks and I'm actually liking the stock pickups a little more. Had a bone nut installed, pickups height adjusted a bit....really brought the guitar to life. I read somewhere that the stock pickups are alnico 2 magnets. Can anyone verify that?

Congrats on the NZMD. Belated of course but yeah...
First...WHY does EVERYONE find it MANDATORY to swap the nut on EVERY SE??
If its a matter of binding, that's what God gave us nutfiles, folded sandpaper and welding torch tip cleaners.
On an electric guitar (that presumably will almost always have strings fretted...like when playing chords for example or with a capo on or ANYTIME you press a string) the nut is doing absolutely ZERO for the TONE.

ANYWAY...I could be wrong but I think the SE245 pups are A5 magnets?
If so and if you still want some more of those juicy beefy mids and muscle there is NO need to spend $300 or even $30.
Drop $2.50 for an A2 or A5UO magnet (from addiction-fx..eBay or website) and slide it in. The SE245s are AWESOME pups already. Shockingly good actually. I pull EVERY bridge pup out of EVERY PRS guitar I've ever owned (except the McSoapy...in fact I have to swap almost EVERY guitar's bridge pup...exceptions are, strangely, tele bridge pups. WEIRD) but the SE245 was one I was going to leave alone.
BUT..I "accidently" put a 59/09 in the neck pocket of my SE and then the bridge 245 kinda HAD to go too but that is another story.

So, the SE245 is a great pup already. I think it's probably a great platform for magnet swaps/playing with.
I like the Duncan Custom Custom. It's a fairly high output PAF-ish pup but the thing about it is that it too is a great platform for magnet swaps and in fact, a Duncan Custom and a Duncan Custom5 are both Custom Customs but where the CC has an A2 mag, the Custom has a ceramic magnet and the Custom5, you guessed it...A5.
Like you, I love those warm singing mids.
Try an A2 mag in your SE245s.
BUT, at $2.50ea, you might as well also get an A5UO (unoriented is what the UO stands for) too.
It is kinda in between an A2 and A5. Gives those warm mids you like so much but where the A2 CAN get a bit loose in the bottom end, the UOA5 will retain a bit of that A5 tightnesss to the bottom and will add a BIT of top end sizzle but not harshness. To me an A5 mag is a little overly-mid-scooped for me.
I have an A5UO but haven't tried one yet in my CC pups. Eventually.

So yeah...if I were you...even now that youre satisfied with the SE245s, I would drop a few bucks...ahh might as well make it $10 and snag some others too...maybe an A2, A5UO, A6 and A9?? There are some new crazy mags these days...like the A9 and 6 and blah blah blah.
You never know...if you tell Dennis that Shane sent you and that I told you to ask him about the tonal effects different polepiece alloys provide...well, you MIGHT get a bit of a bonus. Lol..ok fine..enough riddles...between all of you and me, I've been sending a bunch of customers his way and for some of them he included some FREE polepieces to try out. There were orders of a BUNCH of magnets though. Hey, the WORST he can do is say.."tell Shane I said hi" Which reminds me. I NEED to try these slugs and screws on the next string change.

Anyway...FUN WITH MAGNETS!! It's CHEAP and will change the tonal complexion of any pickup.

But also keep your eyes peeled for those Duncan Custom Customs (or Customs or Custom5s if you do have/get magnets to play with) in the used market. I pick them up pretty readily for $50ea. The last one I got for 50 bucks was brand new. It came out of a NEW Washburn guitar. Has a fugly glue bobbin but...

Good luck on the quest and have fun with those magnets. I can VERY safely say that there is NO other guitar mod that will bring as much improvement/difference for less ($2.50) than a pickup magnet swap. Even a set of new STRINGS costs more. Strings can make a big difference too...for a few hours.
I think EVERY electric guitar owner should have a handful of pickup magnets in their box or drawer.

I for one have a VERY hard time spending hundreds (or even hundred) of dollars on a damned simple electromagnet that costs about 5 bucks to make no matter whether it says BK, Fralin OR PRS on it!! Spending $2.50 on a $0.25 magnet though is somehow OK in my books lol. That is 100x markup...the markup on a $200 5x/xx pup is probably only 80x? but still...I kinda REFUSE to pay a mass producer $200 for a $2 item. I'm a cheapskate though...that's just me. Whatevz.

Congrats on the NZMD. Belated of course but yeah...
First...WHY does EVERYONE find it MANDATORY to swap the nut on EVERY SE??
If its a matter of binding, that's what God gave us nutfiles, folded sandpaper and welding torch tip cleaners.
On an electric guitar (that presumably will almost always have strings fretted...like when playing chords for example or with a capo on or ANYTIME you press a string) the nut is doing absolutely ZERO for the TONE.

Nah man, the tonw becomes brighter and sustains better with a nut upgrade. The upgraded nut holds tune better for bigger bends too. I've tried widening the slots, it does help, but the upgraded nut solves the issue 100%.

Back