Removing the polyester UV Grainfill from my PRS custom 24 Floyd

TedintheShed

I purchased a new PRS Custom 24 Floyd Rose in June at Gearfest. The man himself autographed it for me, which was nice. He's a great dude.

But before I purchased the guitar, I asked the PRS rep in the PRS tent if it was possible to send the guitar to the factory to have the neck stripped and refinished in linseed oil or something similar. I asked this question because among some of guitars on display was what I assumed were Private Stock guitars with necks that had a "bare wood" feel. The rep said he was going to call the factory and see, left and returned a few minutes later and assured me I could, just to call PTC when I was ready and they would set up the RMA and that it would cost about $500 but they would give me an estimate when I was ready. So I signed on the dotted line and bought the guitar.

I got this guitar for one purpose: to give to my daughter as a college graduation present. First person in my family to get a degree. That was a feature that she wanted, badly. And now I seem like I spent a butt load of OT money for absolutely no reason because evidently the PRS rep in the tent was mistaken because when I contacted the PTC via the form for the RMA the rep stated let me know that the PTC doesn't do this.

SOOOOO.....

I'm going to do it myself. I know, it will void the warranty but it will be voided anyway once I give it to her. I've never stripped a a polyester based coat before, so I was wondering if there is a preferred chemical strip to use, or just elbow grease and steel wool the preferred method?

Thanks,
Ted

PS- here is a picture of the neck

rOxMd5aMnGN-ZCCLYjWkshh_2NDkI6hkp1D1wpSOqwUiw4OyUmRZWeLCvB9nmjD2s7vLL6IHKKlYJNUw_aqjO-guxtJKWJdhq7jpBUEGMl5Rqnho07y34vkPih3-19e229A127Ah3ibocbSZjYC2ZWdD5TvYVEociLdV1hw13RNe-ajfHyfG-0cSTb9X6spMvsvhtCczN3r0vZq4ajaZo9iXQy-4zFNstMoCJxDqB4rx1fGTBmCyqn7UyxpXUukWUTnNNmk6OX_BjWNUlOUB-ay7TsV4Zbn2T1IFmjQYaUeNK1Ie0GICbq7gwl8yQJDrJOZ4HMZw7eX8cee6-Y_co-zMCoBpMpdjETA2dxWeoXKIHTHhs6FqLR5eLVovwZCncQBwVUZI5L0udsbWibCbVZxKdBEcwiPJvwUwWMvBKVwMvnO5ddgrK7EtImKcbgrTp5nWboDB-dmKya9FsyhR5UntQdy2rXICoXJhb3MmR_km5I0BQkFpqWy0l3YRQIrvzsF97m_IvV7eZgjTKKNTV7VGxYQVFeMStEr8QrB99FbWEnUQgLL2rVFWj7SKP0LClv4zb026Opg3z-2ak6aAvxTef4oopiQzTQ3WzWxeqA=w500-h749-no

Please, no chemicals. Look into using Micro Mesh to knock the gloss off.

Not at all surprised that PRS wouldn't do an oil finish, but they do have a really nice "in the wood" feeling satin finish that I'm fairly certain they could do on that guitar.

The PTC did the in the wood finish on one of my old CE necks.. it’s great! Love it on my DC3 too.

I'll agree with the "in the wood finish". I've got it on two, and absolutely love it. More than the gun-oil finished necks I've had.

Back