recording interface

I had been using an MBox Pro, but I just installed a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 (actually, I have both of them as a composite device now).

Depending on how many inputs you need, there are smaller interfaces. Focusrite has interfaces with fewer inputs/outputs.

thanks AT! i should say i don’t need more than 4 tracks at once, and have used echo mona, the digi01, and m-audio junk (15 years ago).

I had been recording on a Zoom R16 workstation that also acts as an interface, so when I went Logic Pro I didn't have to buy anything. If you need to do multiple channels when recording that may be an option, I think there are other mfgs that make similar items.

It's worked well for me and I like the layout being a mixer board, something I feel familiar with more than the computer screen of Logic Pro or those little interface units, .....cause I'm old and I need to touch faders.:p

thanks HB, looks like a nice unit:

zoom-r16-299836.jpg

I had been recording on a Zoom R16 workstation that also acts as an interface, so when I went Logic Pro I didn't have to buy anything. If you need to do multiple channels when recording that may be an option, I think there are other mfgs that make similar items.

It's worked well for me and I like the layout being a mixer board, something I feel familiar with more than the computer screen of Logic Pro, .....cause I'm old.:p

i use ableton and like computer screens ok but a control interface for mixing is definitely a plus.

What I'm using (UAD Apollos) do more than what you need but I do have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and have been happy with it when I needed it. I don't hesitate to use it to capture quality audio with my laptop. Many other units have been produced by other makers but the Focusrite has always been problem free.

If you are looking for a controller interface check on Mackie or Presonus interfaces.

i actually like the idea of running instrument or effect plugins on the interface, which i think is what the apollo is about?

i actually like the idea of running instrument or effect plugins on the interface, which i think is what the apollo is about?
I gotta warn U, the R16 bypasses the effects when in "interface" mode.

Reactions: jxe
Yes. The original reason I bought an Apollo was so that it could process their plugins without taxing my laptop. You do have to use their plugins (some come with the unit but others can be added on ... wait for sales to buy). They have a software called Console (which is what it looks like on the screen) that comes with it which is used to record (or just monitor) in real time then sent to Live. I use Live also. I have not used a physical console to move the controls on Live, but have you tried a Push 2? The window above gives you access to all parameters of the chosen track.

It's worked well for me and I like the layout being a mixer board, something I feel familiar with more than the computer screen of Logic Pro or those little interface units, .....cause I'm old and I need to touch faders.:p
Zoom R16 has served me well too, and as usual I look at newer gear as well. The Zoom Livetrak L-12 looks pretty good!

Apollos are extremely nice sounding, and plenty of pro studios use them (including mine). My son and his bandmate put an Apollo in their new LA room, and sold their Apogee Symphony; Jamie also got one for use with his laptop at home. He used the Apollo on the songs he co-produced on the new 30 Seconds To Mars album that went to #1 on the alternative rock chart last month, if you need verification that they’re professional devices used on major label records.

The plugins sound wonderful, among the very best out there, but be aware that you run out of UAD resources pretty fast if you use a lot of plugins at once, unless you have at least a Quad. If you’re only recording simple projects, or using plugins across a bus, a Duo is fine.

Also, the Apollo has its own “mixer” software that runs in the background. This can be a little confusing at first, though it actually adds tons to the flexibility of the device. Once you get your head around it, it’s intuitive and simple to use.

thanks for that, LS -- the apollo is definitely at the top of my short list. one of the things holding me up is i know not much about microphone preamps and don't want flo and eddie to snicker at my mixing desk.

snappy little western theme by the way. i think halsey's going to do alright too.

I'm a Focusrite guy. I use the Sapphire Pro 40 with an Octo Pre Mk II Dynamic for most of my recordings. When i need "more" I have an RME 9652 connected to 24 channels of ADAT. Those are fed by the direct outs on my analog console.

The Focusrite and RME have mix/monitor software. It was confusing at first, but now I couldn't live without it.

My setup is a little outdated - i keep eyeing the Apollo, but the "need" isn't there yet. I am still taking great efforts to introduce as much analog into the recording chain as possible by using the channel strips on my console. If i ever sell it THEN I'll bump up to the Apollo...

thanks for that, LS -- the apollo is definitely at the top of my short list. one of the things holding me up is i know not much about microphone preamps and don't want flo and eddie to snicker at my mixing desk.

I used the Apollo mic preamps for the tracks on the rock song. I don’t know what my son used for every track on the Halsey song; he uses the Apollo’s preamps, but he also has other stuff.

One great feature on the Apollo is that you can use their plugin preamps that sound very good indeed; they can be printed to disk, if you like, or not. When you track through an Apollo preamp using the plugin, the hardware preamp itself changes its own hardware electronic characteristics to simulate the real hardware. For example, the impedances are changed, etc.

Not that I’m sayin’ anyone else should buy one of these, but you did ask about them.

Back