Recommendation for small tube amp

Mark

Hi,
I have been using a solid state modelling amp and fancy trying the real thing but there is so much to choose from.
Can any one recommend a good small tube amp combo around the 15W range for practice, recording and small gigs? I have been looking at the Orange Tiny Terror and quite like the sound of that but I would appreciate any other recommendations.

Cheers
Mark

What kind of sound are you after? What styles do you play? I like the tiny terror quite a bit.

I know it's quite a bit more power, but I really like the Blackstar Soloist 60. It's a very versatile combo with EL34s, and a single 12" speaker. It has two channels plus a boost, and it sounds good at bedroom levels. It's fairly light for a 1x12 combo at about 45 lbs as I recall. Blackstar makes a matching 1x12 ext cab for a cool stack.

Last edited:
I have the Mesa Mini Rectifier. I love this amp!!! Very versatile. Easy on the back too as long as you have the 112.

For what you're describing, it's pretty hard to beat an old SF Princeton Reverb for tone and affordability...

I'd love to hear what the ideal spec for a PRS amp of this type would be. As you're saying the Sweet 16 is not that amp...

I'd love to hear what the ideal spec for a PRS amp of this type would be. As you're saying the Sweet 16 is not that amp...

Wasn't a "one-off" "10-Watt Perfect 10" recently released? Would that meet the specs that are being sought??

I have the Mesa Mini Rectifier. I love this amp!!! Very versatile. Easy on the back too as long as you have the 112.

:congrats:That is an excellent amp! The Mini Rectifier and the Dark Terror are two small amps that crank out some incredible tones.

TGE Lil' Blastard! hahah

p1_u3qvdbc5v_so.jpg

In that power range, I've got a Mesa TA-15 and the Carvin V3M. For private practice, I love the TA-15, but it just do it for me in a band setting. The Carvin is great for what it is, and can DEFINITELY cover the gain side.

That said, I'm going to get up on my soapbox again: I absolutely LOVE my THD BiValve. You'll have to find one used, or as the last of the NOS out there, as I believe Andy has stopped making them. You can use such a huge variety of tubes, AND mix and match to really draw out your own sound. The built in attenuators isn't the most transparent, but there are so many ways to control the output level, that you don't really have to use it. For example, the low input only uses one preamp tube, reducing preamp gain. The high input uses both, increasing volume and gain (a large increase in gain, esp with humbuckers). Yu can lower the voltage the tubes draw, reducing output. You can run 6v6s for 18-ish watts or EL34sor 6L6s for 25-30 watts. You can also mix and match any of these (with the appropriate voltage selected). OR, you can run it on ONE power tube, cutting the output in half.

If that doesn't work, try the attenuator.

Have I mentioned here that I love this amp?

Good luck on the hunt. Try out everything you can get your hands on.

I have a Cornford Harlequin so I can play in the house. 6 watts, Great tone, boat loads of gain but it really misses the PRS paisley :biggrin:

I love my Blistertone but it is LOUD.......give me a 10-20 watt amp with HIGH gain potential, channel switching would be nice, reverb or a loop for a verb pedal, NOT imported but made in MD, half power switch would be nice, head or combo...........I am guessing if these are not priced out of line they will be popular. Lot of people on the forums have one of these already with another manufacturers name on them becasue PRS does not make one.

YOu'll have to let us know your rough budget and what you're into.

Personally, i'm a big fan of the Laney Lionheart amps. The 20 watt combo may be right up your street. YOu can also get a 20 watt head or the 20 watt 4 x 10 combo.

Not cheap new but pretty much mint conditions ones pop up from time to time on ebay for a steal.

I currently have the Vox Lil Night Train and the Kustom Defender 5H. I love the Vox and use it 95% of the time. I'm actually looking into selling the Kustom to buy another Lil Night Train or I might step up to the Night Train.

Back