Reclaimed Wood CE24 in build again?

merciful-evans

Portsmouth uk
Since buying one 4-Dec-17 from Guitar Village UK, I still don't have the guitar. I did read something about delays due to shortage of wood stocks but after 3 months I dont know if the models are in build, or if PRS are still waiting to source more wood.

I have asked the shop to update me, but they have not. I phoned them last week & was told 'our PRS rep has just left the shop'. I got a promise he would contact the rep again for a status report, but again I have no more info whatever. I'm not in a desperate hurry, I just want to know whats going on.

Today, I notice that Andertons are once again offering the Reclaimed CE24 on pre-order with a delivery date of 23rd March.

Surely there is someone somewhere who knows something?! (The guitar I paid for was the last one allocated to GV).

Check out Shawn’s you tube video (user name still life yoga) of Michael Reid’s 30 year “employee guitar”. The pile of timber there is probably “reclaimed” stock. Your guitar is probably part of this!

Plus the CNC video is hypnotic!

AR, found it. yes it does seem like the same wood stock. Except for the fingerboard, he says that is Brazilian Rosewood. If that's what 'Brauna Preto' is I'm sure they would have described it as Brazilian Rosewood.

I have watched CNC machines for most of my working life, with and without suction fixture pallets. TBH, it felt like I was back at work, though I'd never cut wood before!

Thanks for the insight :)

I've just taken your advice. I called at 11.30am and held on until the signal cut.

Well, at least there is consistency.
Interesting... I'm assuming that was 11:30 Eastern time? But if on a Friday, who knows.
I've never had trouble getting someone on the phone mid day Eastern time Monday-Thursday.
I'd try again early next week.

AR, found it. yes it does seem like the same wood stock. Except for the fingerboard, he says that is Brazilian Rosewood. If that's what 'Brauna Preto' is I'm sure they would have described it as Brazilian Rosewood.

I have watched CNC machines for most of my working life, with and without suction fixture pallets. TBH, it felt like I was back at work, though I'd never cut wood before!

Thanks for the insight :)
BRW - dalbergia nigra.

The specs are on the Andertons website -

Brauna Preto - fretboard

Peroba Rosa - Top.

And quotes from PRSh and Michael Reid, who consequently sourced the reclaimed timber, which is no longer allowed to be felled.

Interesting... I'm assuming that was 11:30 Eastern time? But if on a Friday, who knows.
I've never had trouble getting someone on the phone mid day Eastern time Monday-Thursday.
I'd try again early next week.

I called the UK number on Saturday as I am in Portsmouth UK. So they are not there at weekends. I'll try again Monday.

It does seem like something is afoot at Andertons (Guildford UK) though as both the CE & Vela RC Woods are available to pre-order
http://www.andertons.co.uk/prs-ce24...these-do-not-over-sell-sold-out-ehtbc3nansneu

After well over 3 months I have cancelled and asked for a refund.

I have been waiting since December 4th. The shop have had the full purchase price from me all this time. I'm tired of being put off and 'thanked for my patience'. I've had enough.

Hi - The wood source wasn't the what caused the delay, it was the time it took to dry the wood and our finite capacity as a manufacturing facility. When the order window was opened, the idea was that we would take a couple hundred orders over the course of two months, but as we know, the run sold out in about 24 hours. We couldn't stop the production of every other guitar on order to build the reclaimed guitars first, so we had to mix them into the backorder schedule. As I mentioned, all of the wood hadn't been dried, so we had to mix that into the schedule as well. The last of the reclaims should be getting finished up now. I have been on vacation and I haven't been in the factory for a week, so I don't know the exact stats, but we are finally getting close to completing this run. Thanks for your patience and the patience of everyone else who has a reclaimed on order.

I would like to throw a little gas on the fire by adding...they are totally worth the wait. :D

vela3.jpg

Hi - The wood source wasn't the what caused the delay, it was the time it took to dry the wood and our finite capacity as a manufacturing facility. When the order window was opened, the idea was that we would take a couple hundred orders over the course of two months, but as we know, the run sold out in about 24 hours. We couldn't stop the production of every other guitar on order to build the reclaimed guitars first, so we had to mix them into the backorder schedule. As I mentioned, all of the wood hadn't been dried, so we had to mix that into the schedule as well. The last of the reclaims should be getting finished up now. I have been on vacation and I haven't been in the factory for a week, so I don't know the exact stats, but we are finally getting close to completing this run. Thanks for your patience and the patience of everyone else who has a reclaimed on order.

On the subject of patience, you have not read the whole thread. The order is now cancelled.

From what you say I have been misled. The dealer also told me that wood stock had been an issue. It would have been nice to get any kind of genuine explanation over the course of the last 15 weeks. I was not impatient, but grew tired of being continuously fobbed off but otherwise ignored.

The fact that Andertons are promised further reclaimed models (I have spoken to them and they expect four CE24s) before fulfilling GV's order added greatly to my misgivings about the whole affair.

Thank you Shawn for having the dedication and patience to provide a detailed update despite being on vacation. Most of us really appreciate it.

They're worth waiting for for 2 reasons:

1. My RLCE24 is my fave guitar I've owned.

2. It also has more fret sprout than any guitar I've owned, so any more drying it needs should be done. Yes, Chicago winters suck and you should condition nice fretboards as PRS told me when I asked. And yet, next winter I'm gonna have to have the ends sanded back cause they were catching on my hands this year.

Thanks for the update Shawn...this sounds more like a GV UK issue...

They're worth waiting for for 2 reasons:

1. My RLCE24 is my fave guitar I've owned.

2. It also has more fret sprout than any guitar I've owned, so any more drying it needs should be done. Yes, Chicago winters suck and you should condition nice fretboards as PRS told me when I asked. And yet, next winter I'm gonna have to have the ends sanded back cause they were catching on my hands this year.

I use 2 of these at home (108 m2) - https://www.amazon.com/Venta-Airwas...d=1521316129&sr=8-3&keywords=venta+humidifier.

I monitor humidity across several rooms and once it drops to <50% in winter I get them from storage. Throughout our winter humidity in the house varies between 45% at the coldest and 55% (I switch them off then) at the warmest. Cheap investment (relative to a new PRS) with some health benefits as well.

On the subject of patience, you have not read the whole thread. The order is now cancelled.

From what you say I have been misled. The dealer also told me that wood stock had been an issue. It would have been nice to get any kind of genuine explanation over the course of the last 15 weeks. I was not impatient, but grew tired of being continuously fobbed off but otherwise ignored.

The fact that Andertons are promised further reclaimed models (I have spoken to them and they expect four CE24s) before fulfilling GV's order added greatly to my misgivings about the whole affair.

You shouldn’t be directing the attitude toward Shawn, he took the time to type out a lengthy response to you explaining the issue despite being ON VACATION right now. That’s really uncool of you, IMO. I understand being upset, but that should be directed at the store. If they knew they were not going to get them for months, the dealer shouldn’t have had you pay full price for it up front. Most dealers wouldn’t charge you the full price up front if the guitar wasn’t showing up for an extended period of time, that’s not a PRS policy or anything so that piece should also be taken up with your dealer. If the dealer misled you about the timing, that’s one thing... but no one at PRS promised a guitar in your hands within a specific window of time and as Shawn explained they didn’t have facility space to dry out all the reclaimed woods from the run simultaneously so yes, there was a delay for some orders. I had heard customs for UK orders were also an issue but I don’t think yours was part of that as that happened months ago.

Again don’t misunderstand me, I do think it’s crappy that the dealer didn’t appear to be straight with you, but I’ve spoken directly with Shawn before and he’s one of the nicest dudes around (as evidenced by typing up a reply to you when he’s out of town on vacation) so it’s pretty unfair to be giving him such a rude response. Sorry it didn’t work out, maybe you can talk to Anderton’s and see if you can pre-order one of theirs without paying for it in full? I have a Reclaimed Vela and it’s pretty awesome, so personally I’d have to say it would be worth the wait!

You shouldn’t be directing the attitude toward Shawn, he took the time to type out a lengthy response to you explaining the issue despite being ON VACATION right now. That’s really uncool of you, IMO. I understand being upset, but that should be directed at the store. If they knew they were not going to get them for months, the dealer shouldn’t have had you pay full price for it up front. Most dealers wouldn’t charge you the full price up front if the guitar wasn’t showing up for an extended period of time, that’s not a PRS policy or anything so that piece should also be taken up with your dealer. If the dealer misled you about the timing, that’s one thing... but no one at PRS promised a guitar in your hands within a specific window of time and as Shawn explained they didn’t have facility space to dry out all the reclaimed woods from the run simultaneously so yes, there was a delay for some orders. I had heard customs for UK orders were also an issue but I don’t think yours was part of that as that happened months ago.

Again don’t misunderstand me, I do think it’s crappy that the dealer didn’t appear to be straight with you, but I’ve spoken directly with Shawn before and he’s one of the nicest dudes around (as evidenced by typing up a reply to you when he’s out of town on vacation) so it’s pretty unfair to be giving him such a rude response. Sorry it didn’t work out, maybe you can talk to Anderton’s and see if you can pre-order one of theirs without paying for it in full? I have a Reclaimed Vela and it’s pretty awesome, so personally I’d have to say it would be worth the wait!

Wish I could like this a billion times!

It sucks that the dealer is jerking you around but I wouldn't blame PRS. They had no idea the run would sell as fast as it did and with all the cracks and nail holes in the wood I would rather them take their time drying them to make sure they're stable rather than rushing them out.

My reclaimed CE24 is my all around favorite/go to guitar and I wouldn't hesitate waiting for one again.

Back