Reclaimed Vela Acclaim

Skeeter

So I nabbed this Reclaimed Vela off Reverb when it popped up at list price. I had been focusing so much on my 594 search that this was just an impulse buy - I had always thought the model seemed cool and the demand is so high.

Now it's been a couple months and I gotta say - I love this sucker!! It's getting more playing time than any another guitar, even over the 594 (which is great obviously). Makes me consider getting its CE-24 twin - but I gotta stop my recent spree.

Paul is just killing it lately - I've been a PRS devotee since the mid-90s, and I really do think this decade is some sort of golden period - Paul and co. are just putting out amazing/innovative guitars left and right.

I've never owned a Tele, but this seems to fit that sonic territory, especially with the bridge pup split. This is my first S2 - it seems like this "regular" neck has a slightly wider nut or string spacing - some Core Pattern Regular necks have the high E just a tad too tight for my liking. YMMV. But this neck just feels like "home" and it's really comfortable, like an old guitar already.

The wood they used for the fretboard, Brauna Preto, is fantastic. It has the attack of something like ebony, but also similar to rosewood in its feel, etc.. However you want to put it - I can just fly on it and sounds great.

I don't have any reference as to how the f-hole and Brazilian top wood alter the tone from a regular Vela. Regardless, this reclaimed version has a wonderful acoustic quality and resonance. I like the way PRS has been doing SH guitars lately - doesn't really take away from thick rock sounds, just adds flexibility, acoustic quality, and is easy on the back ;)

It's a joy just playing it unplugged or super-clean for an acoustic-like sound, especially in the middle position. The neck pickup sounds like a really fat Strat neck pup (maybe even P-90ish?) and you can cop an SRV tone all day or go for jazz/fusion stuff. Middle position is excellent for rhythm - dirty or clean. I especially like it with a just a bit of dirt for a great plucky classic rock rhythm tone.

The plate bridge is great - stays in tune perfectly, is such a small footprint that it just stays out of the way, and intonation is spot on for altered jazz voiced chords, etc.. The bridge pup split can be spanky, but with some distortion or fuzz it screams and makes you want to noodle endlessly. The bridge as a humbucker kinda goes to Gretsch territory - still trying find the best way to use it. Definitely cool for fuzz 90s alt rock (think Johnny Greenwood).

All that, and you get the cool character of the unique wood, with random nail holes and marks. In total, it makes this guitar seem like a well-aged classic that just wants to be played and PLAYED A LOT!!

IMG0120.jpg

IMG0121.jpg

IMG0122.jpg

IMG0123.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful guitar. Glad you like it.

However, I'd like it if he'd come up with something other than an f-hole. A dragon maybe... heck, the namaste symbol, an eagle...

Your guitar looks cool & all, I just think the f-hole is cliche.

Paul is just killing it lately

I agree with that. Seems like he's got something new every month. Some times it's a big new (a whole new model) sometimes it's a small new (different finish) sometimes they hit big (.594) sometimes, just a little (narrow fields) but it's a hit.

Killer report, thanks!

You've just reminded me of how much I like my RL SH Vela! Maybe I'll play that tonight for band practice...

Beautiful guitar. Glad you like it.

However, I'd like it if he'd come up with something other than an f-hole. A dragon maybe... heck, the namaste symbol, an eagle...

Your guitar looks cool & all, I just think the f-hole is cliche.

As much as I appreciate creative, alternative openings on certain models, aka the 'slash' hole on the SE semi DC and old Ricky's (?), and especially the "M" hole on the newer Music Man semi-hollows, I feel the classic "F" hole on these was the right choice... jmho......

Back