Really need to change the nut????

Jeanvanz

I was asking to PRS customer service if I can change my string gauge form .9 to .10
and they only answer me that I should replace the nut for a brass infusion one, that cost $150 with the Pro setup.

Really? Can I setup my guitar and put .10 strings and keep the factory nut? or i REALLY NEED to change the nut??

Some of you has changed the strings using the same nut from factory??

This is my 1st PRS and this is disappointing me.

Please help

Keep the existing nut and change your strings as intended. It might be that the nut-slots may need widening a little (very very little) with a file or sandpaper if they begin to snag. Neck relief might need a small adjustment. The bridge will likely need intonation adjustments. If you have a tremolo system this too will need a small adjustment to the springs in the rear cavity to counter-balance the extra tension.

The work I have mentioned may seem rather daunting if you have never done this before yourself but if you wish to save some coin then now might be a good time to learn :)

Of course you can re-cut/file the nut. Or you can pop off the one that's on there and replace it with one cut for 10's. But if you're asking them, they've got services foe sale, don't be disappointed.

Of course you can re-cut/file the nut. Or you can pop off the one that's on there and replace it with one cut for 10's. But if you're asking them, they've got services foe sale, don't be disappointed.

oh HAHAHA thats what i think..Thank you

But the strings fit on the nut..why i need to recut??

Keep the existing nut and change your strings as intended. It might be that the nut-slots may need widening a little (very very little) with a file or sandpaper if they begin to snag. Neck relief might need a small adjustment. The bridge will likely need intonation adjustments. If you have a tremolo system this too will need a small adjustment to the springs in the rear cavity to counter-balance the extra tension.

The work I have mentioned may seem rather daunting if you have never done this before yourself but if you wish to save some coin then now might be a good time to learn :)
Perfect..thank you!

I think Sean misunderstood your question and thought you wanted to send your guitar to us for a set up. You can certainly re-use the nut, just widen the slots a bit to accommodate the new string gauge.

I think Sean misunderstood your question and thought you wanted to send your guitar to us for a set up. You can certainly re-use the nut, just widen the slots a bit to accommodate the new string gauge.
Ok no problem. I really wanted to send the guitar but i cant wait, is my only electric right now.

But thank you for the help!

Back