Question: Stripped58 Cavity Shot

Luke Gibson

Can anyone tell me what the resistors are for on both of the volume pots? I was thinking about doing a Treble Bleed Mod and saw them.... Any ideas?

IMG_0216.jpg

Last edited:
It's a little tough to tell the colors of the bands on the resistors in the pic, but it looks like they might be brown/brown/green, which would be a 1.1 megaohm. Combine a 1.1 meg resistor with a 500k potentiometer, and you get a resistance right around 340k.

http://www.digikey.com/en/resources...version-calculator-resistor-color-code-4-band

If you take the resistors out, the tone should be slightly brighter.

What garrett said.... closer to 300k would be more likely.
fwiw, brighter isn't always better.... it might be in the sweet spot as is. But there's only one way to find out...;)

I see them as orange, orange, green or 330K. The Req would be right at 200K. I'd pull them. The caps aren't stock either.

Thank you gentleman! I will desolder the end of the resistor that's connected to the pot to see how it sounds. The bridge sounds great, the neck was just a little dark so I'll try the neck without the resistor...

Last edited:
The resistors are orange, orange, green, gold = (3.3Meg 5% tolerance) I removed the one from the neck volume pot and heard no difference.... I was playing at low volume. I'm assuming it has to affect the roll down of the pot somehow....?

At that value I'm not surprised you don't hear a difference. Assuming the pot was at a perfect 500k, adding 3.3 meg in parallel only lowers total resistance to 434k. That's less than a 15% drop, which is within many pots' manufacturing tolerance.

The way those resistors were wired doesn't affect the volume roll off.

At that value I'm not surprised you don't hear a difference. Assuming the pot was at a perfect 500k, adding 3.3 meg in parallel only lowers total resistance to 434k. That's less than a 15% drop, which is within many pots' manufacturing tolerance.

The way those resistors were wired doesn't affect the volume roll off.

Thanks, that would make sense! But makes me wonder why they were added in the first place.....?

Back