Question on intonating the PRS 98 McCarty fixed bridge

Michae78randon

Hello all, I have come to possess one of these awesome guitars but I believe that I am having intonation issues and and am unaccustomed to the fixed bridge of this model. I understand where the truss rod is, and how to raise and lower the action, but am not sure how to adjust the intonation. The techs here were friendly and e-mailed me a message involving allen screws I could adjust but I don't see any. Could someone give me some advice? This is the molded bridge without moveable saddles, just to clarify.

They are two inset allen screws that are on the back of bridge where it attaches to the posts. They push the bridge back from the posts on either side. They look a lot like the screw that sets the trem arm tension on the tremolo models.

Intonationwraparound.jpg

Last edited:
Is it necessary to loosen the bridge before you adjust the allen screws? It seems that the screws would not be able to move the bridge otherwise. Sorry if this is a stupid question!

The bridge is actually hooked on the two posts and held on by string tension. You shouldn't need to loosen anything. However, should you encounter difficulty, you can loosen the strings a bit.

What you don't wanna do is adjust the bridge studs with tension on it, because those little Allen screws will scar the posts and create further problems!

Is it necessary to loosen the bridge before you adjust the allen screws? It seems that the screws would not be able to move the bridge otherwise. Sorry if this is a stupid question!
The studs are not screwing the bridge down, they are just keeping it from moving forward. It's "floating" on the two large screws (studs). Without string tension it would fall off. So, the allen screws shown should be able to move the bridge back and forth a bit. Depending on string tension, it should move a bit.

I have found, and maybe others have too, that if you properly intonate the high e, and properly intonate the bass e, the rest fall in so close to be in tune. I usually put on new strings and then bring them to pitch and then intonate, and retune until everything is spot on, but with VERY slight movements of the allen screws. Also, use a plug in tuner even a Korg will do, just don't try to use a headstock tuner, not nearly accurate enough.

What you don't wanna do is adjust the bridge studs with tension on it, because those little Allen screws will scar the posts and create further problems!
Yes!! I once thought I would do it under tension and then was going to use a quarter to do it and then I realized, just no....

Back