Question about recommended string gauges using PRS SE Standard 24

Sbiky

Hello, this is my first post here.

I own a PRS SE Standard 24 since several years, I like the instrument and it's possible that I buy a new 2018 SE Multifoil, the look is amazing.

I want to tune one of the guitars in D for playing in D tunning and Drop C tunning, my doubt is about the string gauge I should use, I feel comfortable with 9s in mi E tuned guitar, but I don't know what gauge is recommended for using with a PRS with D tuning/Drop C tuning, I think 10-46 would be ok, but instead of this maybe I should use 11-50 or something like that? What gauge do you use with your SE Standards?

Thanks for the help!!

It's whatever feels most comfortable for you. I've used 11-49 for D standard tuning on a PRS. You may consider a set with heavier bottom strings which may better suit drop C.

I use an 11-54 set on my drop C guitar (SE CU24). The argument could be made to go even heavier on the bottom string, the lower a guitar is tuned with lighter gauge strings, the more prone it is to intonation problems. I would also recommend having the nut filed out on your guitar so the bigger strings don't get pinched, or go for the Tusq XL nut for SE's.

Back