Question about potentiometers

gush

Where is that speedo pic
I have a ce24 that has push pulls on Vol and Tone pots but they aren't prs pots. I am starting to wonder if these pots are effecting the tone of the guitar in a negative way.

I pulled the 5708 bridge and put in a 5909 mostly because I grew tired of the 5708 but also I have a cu24 5909 that sounds incredible.

I realize the two guitars are different but the 5909 in the ce doesn't have the same characteristics as the 5909 in the cu. It's simular but I was really hoping it would be closer.

CE is square bobbin CU round bobbin if that makes a difference.

I've considered pulling those pots out and rewiring the guitar with all new. Do you think it's worth the effort?

Thanks

If you really like the push pull function on the volume, probably just keep it.

If you could take it or leave it, I'd change them back to original, if it were me.

Tolerance on most pots is 20%. Unless the people who use them test and use only ones within a tighter spec range, there really can be a big difference in two identical guitars just from pot variances .

Ha. Haven't said "pot variances " in quite a while. :)

are the wiring diagrams the same between the 2 guitars?

i would check setup of pickups ie height, and then try and duplicate the cu24 wiring, just because its relatively cheap to do so, or you could just swap pickups between guitars to see if its same difference

are the wiring diagrams the same between the 2 guitars?

i would check setup of pickups ie height, and then try and duplicate the cu24 wiring, just because its relatively cheap to do so, or you could just swap pickups between guitars to see if its same difference

The wiring is different as the cu24 has 5 way blade. The 5909 that is in ce24 had spent some time in my Mccarty and it sounded much closer to cu24.

I may put rotary in it with new prs pots.

This may seem like a silly question but Vol and Tone pots are the same and only differ by what is added to it, correct?

I got curious so I opened it up and I can't read anything on either pot AND I don't see treble bleed or anything else except wires only. Hmmmmm

I got this guitar this way so maybe I'll switch it back to rotary with proper potentiometers. Makes me want to toss 5708 bridge back in it too.

Back